Anonymous Guest

Default Adverbial phrase

I am having trouble Identifying adverbs and an adverbail phrase in the following extracts.

A) The bird, also called the sea eagle, is Britain's biggest and is sometimes called the "flying barn door."

B) so e go through the form and then I'll write down the sort of bits and bobs of what you have serviced.

Can anyone help?

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adverbial phrase

Quote Originally Posted by klynne
    I am having trouble Identifying adverbs and an adverbail phrase in the following extracts.

A) The bird, also called the sea eagle, is Britain's biggest and is sometimes called the "flying barn door."

B) so e go through the form and then I'll write down the sort of bits and bobs of what you have serviced.

Can anyone help?
    The only adverb in A is "sometimes"; it modifies the verb "is called".

In B, the first part is a typo. In the rest, "then" is an adverb. I would also call "down" an adverb, though some might have it as part of a phrasal verb "write down". In addition "through the form" is an adverbial prepositional phrase, modifying "go"..

klynne Guest

Mike Thanks that is a great help. My mind had gone completely blank. I need help on another couple. The typo should read 'we'.

I have to identify the verbs and their subjects, explaining briefly the grammatical functions of these two parts of a clause.

How many clauses are in each of the short extracts and how are they related to each other.

give an example of a preposition and a conjunction. This is all on the same short extracts.

Any chance I can have an answer by tomorrow a.m. I am desperate

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Thanks that is a great help. My mind had gone completely blank. I need help on another couple. The typo should read 'we'.

1. I have to identify the verbs and their subjects, explaining briefly the grammatical functions of these two parts of a clause.

2. How many clauses are in each of the short extracts and how are they related to each other.

3. give an example of a preposition and a conjunction. This is all on the same short extracts.

Any chance I can have an answer by tomorrow a.m. I am desperate
    I will help you as a teaching opportunity, but we don't normally do people's homework here. In the future, you will have to show us what you can do first. Then we will help you. Deal?

B) So we go through the form and then I'll write down the sort of bits and bobs of what you have serviced.
    1. A. One clause. Subject = bird; compound verb (connected by conjunction "and") = is and is called. "Bird" is a noun and, as the subject, it is being defined by the first verb phrase. The second verb phrase is in the passive voice. It is being used to describe what others call this bird.

1. B. Three clauses (2 independent and 1 relative subordinate clause).
    1) We go through the form: Subject = we; verb = go. The subject is the doer of the action. The verb describes the action of the subject on the object.
    2) I'll write down the sort of bits and bobs: Subject = I; verb = will write (future tense using "will" as an auxiliary verb). Same explanatuions as above.
    3) (noun subordinate clause, object of preposition "of". The entire prepositional phrase modifies "bits and bobs". Subject = you; verb = have serviced (present perfect of "service" using "have" as an auxiliary verb). Same explanations as above.

2. As stated above, A has one clause with a single subject and a compound verb. B, has three clauses. The first two are independent clauses (ones that can stand alone) connected by a conjunction "and". The third is a dependent clause which is the object of a preposition in the second independent clause. The clause is a noun, but with the preposition, it forms an adjectival prepositional phrase that modifies the compound noun "bits and bobs". "Bits and bobs" is a compound object of the first preposition "of". That prepositional phrase modifies "sort", which is the direct object of the verb "write". Phew!

3. conjunction: and ("so" is one also, but it is really not functional)
    preposition: of and through

klynne Guest

You are a lifesaver. Yes I will show you what I can do. I have left my coursework to the end due to work commitments and it was something I wasn't particularly interested in, but now I am into it it is fascinating. This is like 1/2% of what I had to do, so I am not really getting you to do all my work! I had to write 4 other essays.
    Once again thanks.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You are a lifesaver. Yes I will show you what I can do. I have left my coursework to the end due to work commitments and it was something I wasn't particularly interested in, but now I am into it it is fascinating. This is like 1/2% of what I had to do, so I am not really getting you to do all my work! I had to write 4 other essays.
    Once again thanks.
    You're welcome, and good luck! :D :D :D :D