beginer is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default is there any other possibility for learning phrasal verbs besides by heart

well ive been studing english for three years but i dont know yet the most of phrasal verbs. this is the most complicated topic i see in english so i want to ask to a professional if i can learn them not by heart but in another way if its possible to do that i will thank your help bye

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: is there any other possibility for learning phrasal verbs besides by heart

Learn a few at a time and use them a lot to fix them. Choose ones that you have come across a few times and, therefore, know are useful.

Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: is there any other possibility for learning phrasal verbs besides by heart

Quote Originally Posted by beginer View Post
    well ive been studing english for three years but i dont know yet the most of phrasal verbs. this is the most complicated topic i see in english so i want to ask to a professional if i can learn them not by heart but in another way if its possible to do that i will thank your help bye
    It is in fact impossible to lear phrasal verbs by heart. You should learn them in practice/in sentences. You might make a tapas: to learn, let's say, ten phrasal verbs each day but not only learn them by heart but apply them in sentences. As far as I know there are books that contains only phrasal verb exercises. I'm sure If you search on the net you will find some funny ways to learn this phrasal verbs, such as:Onestopenglish | Grammar

Oh, and do not forget: Repetition is the mother of skill.

I hope it helps.

Madox

Veron1 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: is there any other possibility for learning phrasal verbs besides by heart

You can learn them when you understand them
    I.e: meaning and context
    Use examples and if you can find out synonyms
    It's very helpful
    Oh! one more thing.Try to use personal examples that's from your own life to make the meaning and the new phrasal verb stick into your mind

I hope this may helpyou

Regards

I.A

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beginer View Post
    well ive been studing english for three years but i dont know yet the most of phrasal verbs.
    Say:
    I've been studying English for three years, but I don't know most of the phrasal verbs.
    ~R

flipper is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents:
    Printed daily newspapers tend to use a lot of phrasal verbs in their headlines, at any rate more frequently than do other media. (And certainly more frequently than the everyday spoken language). This is particularly the case in the U.K., I'd venture to say.

Just keep in mind that "newspaperese" makes almost a dialect by itself...
    (or should we rather call it 'headlinese'...), but is worth geting aquainted with anyway, as reading newspapers in a target foreign language is a proven way to consolidate one's vocabulary (you stand a good chance of repeated exposure to certain words as long as the topic is on public agenda, as well as a good chance of hearing them repeatedly spoken in context by natives and in radio/TV programmes).