Thread: plunge

Englishlanguage is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default plunge

The fall in demand caused share prices to plunge.
    I can't grasp the meaning of to plunge in this context.
    plunge = to (cause someone or something to) move or fall suddenly and often a long way forward, down or into something
    The fact that the definition refers to both a leap forward and downward really gets me confused.
    As to the sentence above, if I consider a leap forward I should think share prices are higher now, but if I consider a leap downward then the sentence says share prices are lower.
    Could anybody help clear up this problem?
    Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: plunge

Ex: The fall in demand caused share prices to drop significantly.
    => share prices are lower

Does that help?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Ex: The fall in demand caused share prices to drop significantly.
    => share prices are lower

Does that help?
    Yes, thank you. Could you give me an example in which to plunge means "to move forward" (take a look at the definition I wrote in my previous post)?

Post Thanks / Like

From Google:

It is usually best just to leave typographical errors behind and plunge forward, unless severe confusion may result; in that case it is often fastest just ...

For me, I decided, it would be that ultimate plunge forward in time to witness that scene when family and friends have gathered to eulogize, the me that was ...

Amid a shower of sparks, the [USS battleship] Washington continued to plunge forward, even the great bulk of the Indiana appeared unable to slow her down ! ...

Your romantic courage is heightened, you're ready to plunge forward, perhaps too ready. Romance now will change your life. ...

We expect you to plunge forward into the task of authoring, editing, and illustrating articles on Wikitravel, in much the same spirit as Wikipedia ...

The Bear is plundering now and has plans to plunge forward throughout the world--the Red Bear, My children, known to you as the Red Brown Bear.

Nevertheless I will plunge forward: To oversimplify, I see two points in this paper. One is that the standard derivations of GR from a spin2 field contain ...

Any more thoughts on how to plunge forward here? You should try ... for your music playing needs. I've got that running at home and it works ...

On this New Years Eve 2007 as we plunge forward into a new year of experiences, we thought it would be fun to share some photos from ...

We plunge forward directly into the turbulent transition, which builds to the return of the second theme, ...

"plunge forward" - Google Search

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Englishlanguage View Post
    Yes, thank you. Could you give me an example in which to plunge means "to move forward" (take a look at the definition I wrote in my previous post)?
    'He was apprehensive about what animals he might find there, but he knew he had to reach camp before night-fall; so he plunged into the forest anyway.'

b

PS When share prices plunge (sharp downward movement), the move may be followed by a Dead cat bounce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like

The fall in demand caused share prices to plunge. => makes you think of a downward movement (share prices go down)
    While at the pool, I really enjoyed plunging. => still downward movement

Can plunge by itself (as a verb or noun) refer to a leap forward?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Englishlanguage View Post
    The fall in demand caused share prices to plunge. => makes you think of a downward movement (share prices go down)
    While at the pool, I really enjoyed plunging. => still downward movement

Can plunge by itself (as a verb or noun) refer to a leap forward?
    Yes; and I don't agree that plunging in a swimming pool involves a primarily downward movement. In some swimming competitions (though fewer now - as the activity is so tedious to watch) there is an event called 'The plunge'. I involves a downward movement of about 2 metres followed by a forward movement of about 30m (during which the 'swimmer' is not allowed to move a muscle).

b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Yes; and I don't agree that plunging in a swimming pool involves a primarily downward movement. In some swimming competitions (though fewer now - as the activity is so tedious to watch) there is an event called 'The plunge'. I involves a downward movement of about 2 metres followed by a forward movement of about 30m (during which the 'swimmer' is not allowed to move a muscle).

b
    Thank you. Could you give me an example in which plunge by itself refers to a leap forward?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

'I've thought about it a long time, and I'm finally going to take the plunge and go into business on my own.'

[That's cheating a bit, because 'take the plunge' is an idiom.]

How about:

'Traffic in Delhi is so busy and chaotic that when you come to a cross-roads you just have to plunge into the stream where you see the tiniest gap.'

b

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.
    Thank you very much.