Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alphabet

Tide is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default alphabet

Hi evearybody
    Do you think we should teach the English alphabet from the begining ?I mean if we have some biginner students ,sould we teach them the alphabet from the beginning ? if so how?

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: alphabet

I think alphabet is for absolute beginners of English. I've seen elementary school students learn them. I just don't know if it wouldn't be so tedious for teenagers and adults to learn them.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Without the alphabet, how do you look something up in a dictionary?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello friends.Thax for replies.
    The very bigginers who don't know Dictionary,At first should learn some words through images.Then gradgually learn more and more words.then,werbs and constructing sentences....So what's your idea?
    The main question is:the name of letters and their correspondenceto their sounds.Sould we teach the names in early steps? Or you believe the students can learn the names later?

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

When learning Greek, I was taught the alphabet at the same time as being introduced to the basics of grammar. Apart from other concerns, how can you learn to take dictated spellings without knowing the letters?

I do feel it is essential to learn it. It can be treated as an exercise in its own right.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you have to consider their age and knowledge of English.

Young children who know absolutely zero English, yes, teach the alphabet thoroughly (teach it as a song).

For older students with more ability to udnerstand, single out the vowels (they have 14 different sounds together) and spend extra time on tricky letters (l, q, r, x, y and w); you can really investigate the alphabet long into English study.

There are 26 letters in the alphabet, but over 44 individual sounds in English, more if you consider American/British variations that's tricky and deserves attention. I believe the better they know the alphabet, the better their pronunciation will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes,feiends I agree with you.It is nessecary to know the alphabet ,very much.And learning it as you're learning words is better.But , as youknow,It's a hard job to teach them while there are so many sounds.Here in Iran we teach the alphabet and the rest English at the same time.At frst steps we introduce some of the symboles as we don't refer to their names.After four or more setions we teach teir names.

Quote Originally Posted by weiming View Post
    Well, you have to consider their age and knowledge of English.

Young children who know absolutely zero English, yes, teach the alphabet thoroughly (teach it as a song).

For older students with more ability to udnerstand, single out the vowels (they have 14 different sounds together) and spend extra time on tricky letters (l, q, r, x, y and w); you can really investigate the alphabet long into English study.

There are 26 letters in the alphabet, but over 44 individual sounds in English, more if you consider American/British variations that's tricky and deserves attention. I believe the better they know the alphabet, the better their pronunciation will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Tide, I totally understand your points. Still I really think you should just go quickly and simply through the basic alphabet on the first day. Let students get a feel for it, write it out on a simple piece of paper with the basic pronunciations (A-aee/ah B-bee/b' or whatever phonetic equivalents you have).

This way people have a great feeling of progress and learning which is very easy to achieve and set them on a positive road to learning the language.

I know that it was a great feeling for me when I first started to study Japanese an mastered the 92 or so phonetic symbols to be found there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weiming View Post
    Tide, I totally understand your points. Still I really think you should just go quickly and simply through the basic alphabet on the first day. Let students get a feel for it, write it out on a simple piece of paper with the basic pronunciations (A-aee/ah B-bee/b' or whatever phonetic equivalents you have).

This way people have a great feeling of progress and learning which is very easy to achieve and set them on a positive road to learning the language.

I know that it was a great feeling for me when I first started to study Japanese an mastered the 92 or so phonetic symbols to be found there.
    How old were you when you started Japenese? My students are 11 or 12.Some of them have already learnt the alphabet ,but some of them not.And I have a multy level student class while I'm supposed to teach from first steps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    My adult ESL students, way back when, used to say, So, now that we know how to read, when do we learn how to spell so that we can look up words in the dictionary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast