Dawood Guest

Post The use of "AND"

Hi I'm Dawood. I work in an educational institution. I have a little confusion about the use of and. I want to have detailed information about the use of AND but right now I want to know whether the following sentences are right or wrong according to the grammatical rules.
    1- TEC is committed to providing the new generation with an overbroadening environment and material for generation building that not only supports the growth and development of the body, mind and soul but also emphasizes the need of building faith and belief ...
    Question: Should the verbs "SUPPORT" and "EMPHASIZE" be singular or plural?
    Do we use singular verb or plural verb when we connect two things with "AND"?
    2- In order to achieve the task, the management and faculty is continuously striving with ceaseless zeal and enthusiasm.
    Question: Should the verb BE in this sentence be singular or plural?
    3- We the students leave the school, they will be laced with Pakistani identity and proud of their heritage.
    Question: Can we ever connect two things of different kind with "AND"?
    Please help me out in t this regard, I'd be very very very grateful to you.
    DAwood Usmani

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The use of "AND"

1- TEC is committed to providing the new generation with an overbroadening environment and material for generation building that not only supports the growth and development of the body, mind and soul but also emphasizes the need of building faith and belief ...
    Question: Should the verbs "SUPPORT" and "EMPHASIZE" be singular or plural? A very confusing sentence. ‘Overbroadening’? ‘Generation building’? Are these 2 ‘things’ the subject of ‘supports’ & ‘emphasizes’?

Do we use singular verb or plural verb when we connect two things with "AND"? Depends. If the two things are considered as one, then the subject takes a singular verb.

2- In order to achieve the task, the management and faculty is continuously striving with ceaseless zeal and enthusiasm.
    Question: Should the verb BE in this sentence be singular or plural? Do you consider 'management' and 'faculty' one & the same thing? Since the definite article ‘the’ is used only before ‘management’, I presume you may take it as referring to the same thing and hence ‘is’ is appropriate.

3- We the students leave the school, they will be laced with Pakistani identity and proud of their heritage.
    Question: Can we ever connect two things of different kind with "AND"? The use of ‘and’ here is fine. The ‘and’ joins together 2 simple sentences to form the compound sentence thus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dawood
    Question: Should the verbs "SUPPORT" and "EMPHASIZE" be singular or plural?
    Answer: Plural. Here's why, the nouns environment (place) and material (supplies) are exlcusive:
    1- an environment and material that not only support ... but also emphasize ...

=> two things that not only support ... but also emphasize
    Do we use [a] singular verb or [a] plural verb when we connect two things with "AND"?
    Answer: use a plural verb if the noun phrase functions as a subject; use a singular verb if that noun phrase is inclusive.

Question: Should the verb BE in this sentence be singular or plural?
    Answer: singular in that context because the nouns management and faculty are inclusive; i.e., we, one body, not they, the management, and we, the faculty, right? Unless, that is you want the two to be separate, which is possible, and in which case, the management and faculty (two distinct bodies) are working together towards a solution to the problem. That should answer this question too:
    Question: Can we ever connect two things of different kind with "AND"?
    Lastly, in the 3rd example, you may want to add in be before proud. The reason being, proud is too far away from its verb. If it were closer, you could omit be:

3- W[h]e[n] the students leave the school, they will be laced with Pakistani identity and [be] proud of their heritage.

OR

3- W[h]e[n] the students leave the school, they will be proud of their heritage and ...
    Please note, laced has a negative tone to it; e.g., the food was laced with poison. What about (and these are just suggestions), know their Pakistani identity and be proud of their heritage? Or even, filled with national pride?

Does that help?

Post Thanks / Like

Now answer!
    Dawood, please be reminded, we are an international community of volunteer teachers; we are busy, just like you, but we take the time at the end of the day to help others like yourself, and we do that after having taught all day, after having marked umteen papers, after having prepared for the next day's lessons, after having done all the admin paperwork and sat in all those boring admin meetings, and so at the end of the day, the last thing we expect is a fellow educator to demand help in the way that you expressed it.

A kind word means the world.

Please be kind; respect our members.