Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Hello Everyone,

    What is the meaning of the underlined sentence?

    There was a beating and a shooting of a woman at his Houston home, and that was that as the future franchise star for Houston.

    Regards

    Sky

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Is that an exact quote? (And that was that for the future star might mean that his career was over and done with.)

    ~R

  3. #3
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Is that an exact quote? (And that was that for the future star might mean that his career was over and done with.)

    ~R
    Thanks for your reply! The sentence is quoted from a report about former Rocket Player Griffin, who was killed in a car collision recently.

    The paragraph from which the sentence is quoated is as follows:

    Everything about Griffin suggested that he was destined to be a bust, but his promise intoxicated Rudy Tomjanovich. There always was someone to pick up Griffin, always someone to believe that they could find the doctors to treat him, the mentors to reach him. There was a beating and a shooting of a woman at his Houston home, and that was that as the future franchise star for Houston

    And by the way, what does "was destined to be a bust " mean here?


    Thanks and Best Regards

    Sky

  4. #4
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    What is the meaning of the underlined sentence?

    There was a beating and a shooting of a woman at his Houston home, and that was that as the future franchise star for Houston.

    Regards

    Sky
    The Houston Rockets are a professional basketball team. Individual teams are often referred to as a "franchise." (For example, "The state of South Carolina will be awarded an NBA franchise if they build a new multi-million dollar stadium.")

    "That was that" means that was the end, everything was finished. This guy, Griffin, was a promising young player who had the potential to be a star in the NBA. But he got into too much trouble, and the last straw, so to speak, was when a woman was shot at his home. The team's manager could no longer bail him out of trouble, so that was the end of his career.

  5. #5
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    And by the way, what does "was destined to be a bust " mean here?


    Thanks and Best Regards

    Sky


    "Destined to be a bust" means doomed to fail. Griffin was already known for having a drinking problem and getting into trouble with the law, so anyone else could see that he would be nothing but a liability for the team.

  6. #6
    sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    The Houston Rockets are a professional basketball team. Individual teams are often referred to as a "franchise." (For example, "The state of South Carolina will be awarded an NBA franchise if they build a new multi-million dollar stadium.")

    "That was that" means that was the end, everything was finished. This guy, Griffin, was a promising young player who had the potential to be a star in the NBA. But he got into too much trouble, and the last straw, so to speak, was when a woman was shot at his home. The team's manager could no longer bail him out of trouble, so that was the end of his career.
    Thank you!

    Does the sentence "The state of South Carolina will be awarded an NBA franchise..." mean" South Carolina State will be allowed to establish a NBA team of their own if they can build a muti-million dollar stadium"

    Regards

    Sky

  7. #7
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the meaning of the sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Thank you!

    Does the sentence "The state of South Carolina will be awarded an NBA franchise..." mean" South Carolina State will be allowed to establish a NBA team of their own if they can build a muti-million dollar stadium"

    Regards

    Sky

    No, in this case I meant the actual entire state of South Carolina

Similar Threads

  1. the meaning of the sentence
    By Unregistered Lina in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2007, 20:16
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-May-2007, 08:58
  3. Meaning of a sentence
    By silviasabater_2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Apr-2007, 12:27
  4. Meaning of sentence
    By lemon_1909 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2007, 04:24
  5. [求助] The meaning of a sentence.
    By nancycumt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-May-2006, 09:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •