• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are the meanings of the following two sentences?

Hello Everyone,

What are meanings of the underlined sentences?

Despite getting thrown out of high school, despite chasing a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugging him in the eye for freezing him out despite it all the Houston Rockets still traded three first-round draft picks to the New Jersey Nets for the rights to the seventh pick in the 2001 draft.

Thanks and Best Regards

Sky

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are the meanings of the following two sentences?

despite chasing a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugging him in the eye for freezing him out = even though he chased a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugged him in the eye for freezing him out

(The sentence itself needs revision. (Nobody is perfect.))

~R

eperson is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

learned! Thank u.

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    despite chasing a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugging him in the eye for freezing him out = even though he chased a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugged him in the eye for freezing him out

(The sentence itself needs revision. (Nobody is perfect.))

~R
    Dear Ronbee,

Thank you very much for your post, but i still can't understand the sentence. The sentence tell us something about the former Rocket Player Griffin. And the pragragh from which the sentence is quoted is as follows:

McHale had made Griffin his personal project. He believed in the sweetness that could be found free of the bottle with Griffin. He gave him a locker next to Kevin Garnett and tutored Griffin himself, but his unmoved student never had a love for the game to ultimately fight for a career.

Griffin knew his talent tantalized people and fooled them as long as he could. Despite getting thrown out of high school, despite chasing a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugging him in the eye for freezing him out despite it all the Houston Rockets still traded three first-round draft picks to the New Jersey Nets for the rights to the seventh pick in the 2001 draft.

My problem here is according to the context:
    1.What does "chasing a Seton Hall Teammate to the halftime locker room" mean here? Does a Seton Hall Teammate refer to Garnet? What does chase mean here?

2. Does "slugging him in the eye for freezing him out" mean the coach of the Net threatened to Griffin that he would be expelled if he did't player well or behave well in his daily life? What does slugg and freeze him out mean here?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Sky

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Dear Ronbee,

Thank you very much for your post, but i still can't understand the sentence. The sentence tell us something about the former Rocket Player Griffin. And the pragragh from which the sentence is quoted is as follows:

McHale had made Griffin his personal project. He believed in the sweetness that could be found free of the bottle with Griffin. He gave him a locker next to Kevin Garnett and tutored Griffin himself, but his unmoved student never had a love for the game to ultimately fight for a career.

Griffin knew his talent tantalized people and fooled them as long as he could. Despite getting thrown out of high school, despite chasing a Seton Hall teammate to the halftime locker room and slugging him in the eye for freezing him out despite it all the Houston Rockets still traded three first-round draft picks to the New Jersey Nets for the rights to the seventh pick in the 2001 draft.

My problem here is according to the context:
    1.What does "chasing a Seton Hall Teammate to the halftime locker room" mean here? Does a Seton Hall Teammate refer to Garnet? What does chase mean here?

2. Does "slugging him in the eye for freezing him out" mean the coach of the Net threatened to Griffin that he would be expelled if he did't player well or behave well in his daily life? What does slugg and freeze him out mean here?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Sky
    He (Griffin) chased a Seton Hall teammate to the locker room during halftime. I cannot tell from the context who that teammate was. By "chase" is meant that he ran after him with the intention of catching him.

When you slug somebody in the eye you hit them in the eye. I cannot tell from the context specifically what is meant by "freezing him out". Maybe it is something he wouldn't let him do or something he wouldn't help him with, but I can only guess.

I hope that helps.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Seton Hall is a small university in New Jersey, USA that is well-known for having a top-ranked basketball team every year. Seton Hall University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Apparently, Griffin played for Seton Hall and during one game lost his temper with one of his team mates. The team mate had "frozen Griffin out," probably by somehow preventing Griffin from getting the ball as often as Griffin wanted it. Because he was angry that he couldn't show off, Griffin chased that player into the locker room during intermission (halftime) and punched him in the eye with his fist.

This paragraph is about how even though Griffin had a bad temper and was a hostile person, the fans still liked him and the team owners wanted Griffin to play on their teams.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    He (Griffin) chased a Seton Hall teammate to the locker room during halftime. I cannot tell from the context who that teammate was. By "chase" is meant that he ran after him with the intention of catching him.

When you slug somebody in the eye you hit them in the eye. I cannot tell from the context specifically what is meant by "freezing him out". Maybe it is something he wouldn't let him do or something he wouldn't help him with, but I can only guess.

I hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your constant and patient explanation!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    Seton Hall is a small university in New Jersey, USA that is well-known for having a top-ranked basketball team every year. Seton Hall University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Apparently, Griffin played for Seton Hall and during one game lost his temper with one of his team mates. The team mate had "frozen Griffin out," probably by somehow preventing Griffin from getting the ball as often as Griffin wanted it. Because he was angry that he couldn't show off, Griffin chased that player into the locker room during intermission (halftime) and punched him in the eye with his fist.

This paragraph is about how even though Griffin had a bad temper and was a hostile person, the fans still liked him and the team owners wanted Griffin to play on their teams.
    I get it. Thanks a million!

To be honest, it is sometimes very difficult for non-native English speakers to get full understanding of the news report without learing some background. For me ,due to my poor understanding, it is harder. Luckily, I have met so many teachers on the forum, like you , who would like to take the time and efforts to help me!

Thank you once more!

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your kind response. Words of thanks (when we get them) are the only pay we teachers receive here.