• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"

We are thankful to the above named for their dedication and working on the project as YEF employees. They do not have any implied and expressed rights on this publication.
    Question: Are the words " named" and "express" right? Accepting that I lack knowledge, I think they should read "names" and " expressed" rather than "named" and "express". Please help me out. Grammatical reasons will help me a lot to avoid making further mistakes.
    Regrads

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"

Quote Originally Posted by dawoodusmani View Post
    We are thankful to the above named for their dedication and working on the project as YEF employees. They do not have any implied and expressed rights on this publication.
    You have "expressed" in the sentence - was this your enthusiasm for it? If so, it is correct, as is "named" - the people concerned have been named above. It is better to hyphenate "above-named".

Also:
    "...work on the project..."
    "...implied or expressed..."

Dawood Usmani is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    You have "expressed" in the sentence - was this your enthusiasm for it? If so, it is correct, as is "named" - the people concerned have been named above. It is better to hyphenate "above-named".

Also:
    "...work on the project..."
    "...implied or expressed..."
    What do you mean by was this your enthusiasm for it? Please make it more siplified and clear for me and also what if it's not so?
    Can I write both (confidently that both are 100% correct) in the acknowledgement page please?
    Regards!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"

Quote Originally Posted by dawoodusmani View Post
    Question: Are the words " named" and "express" right? Accepting that I lack knowledge, I think they should read "names" and " expressed" rather than "named" and "express". Please help me out. Grammatical reasons will help me a lot to avoid making further mistakes.
    Regrads

In your original piece you had "expressed" but in your question you asked about "express". I thought you may have been so eager to get your question onto the forum that you had mistyped your question.

I would phrase your acknowledgement this way:

We thank the above named for their dedication to and work on the project as YEF employees. They do not have any implied or expressed rights in this publication.