Post Thanks / Like

Default How to use "Ground Floor" and "First Floor" and what's the difference?

Hi there . I was wondering when do we use Ground Floor and when do we use First Floor. I've heard that in the UK in the department stores, Ground Floor is what in the US is called First Floor. And consecutively, First Floor in the UK would be Second Floor in the US. Is that right? Also, as I live in Japan, the department stores here have underground floors too designated for the sale of food etc. So, we have B1, B2, B3... The B does is stand for Basement? What would you say "please take the elevator to the Basement 3(three) level/floor"?

Thanks in advance !
    mina

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to use "Ground Floor" and "First Floor" and what's the difference?

In the US, "ground floor" and "first floor" mean the same thing and are used interchangeably. Usually elevator buttons marked "B1," B2" etc do indeed refer to "basement." Sometimes they will say "LL1," "LL2," which stands for "lower level" (but still means "basement.")

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to use "Ground Floor" and "First Floor" and what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In the US, "ground floor" and "first floor" mean the same thing and are used interchangeably. Usually elevator buttons marked "B1," B2" etc do indeed refer to "basement." Sometimes they will say "LL1," "LL2," which stands for "lower level" (but still means "basement.")
    How about Lower ground floor?
    In our office building we have B1 and B2, also lower ground and upperground, then the parking lot is on the next level before we get to the 2nd floor. Where do you think is the 1st floor?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    How about Lower ground floor?
    In our office building we have B1 and B2, also lower ground and upperground, then the parking lot is on the next level before we get to the 2nd floor. Where do you think is the 1st floor?
    That would be "LG1" (I've seen this in a lift - elevator - locally). I also know of a store that has a floor halfway between the Ground Floor and the 1st Floor, and they call this 'the mezzanine' (borrowed from Italian, but we mispronounce the -zz-: /ts/, whereas the Italian would be /dz/).

But your last question has to have a local answer, as your initial post said; what I call the 1st floor is what Ouisch calls the 2nd floor.

b

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That would be "LG1" (I've seen this in a lift - elevator - locally). I also know of a store that has a floor halfway between the Ground Floor and the 1st Floor, and they call this 'the mezzanine' (borrowed from Italian, but we mispronounce the -zz-: /ts/, whereas the Italian would be /dz/).

But your last question has to have a local answer, as your initial post said; what I call the 1st floor is what Ouisch calls the 2nd floor.

b
    I guess so too. I think it should be the LG for it follows the basement.
    Actually we have this LG and UG because the building is not standing on a flat ground. IF you pass on the front door, youŽll enter the UG. But if you pass at the back door youŽll be entering the LG.