Thread: An article

pdh0224 Guest

Default An article

Dear teacher,

But another way of looking at the issue, said Dr. Maurie Markman, vice president for clinical research at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, is to take note of the reason the discussions are even taking place.

"I grew up in an era where our goal was to cure the cancer," Dr. Markman said. "It was this mind-set: Give high doses of chemotherapy. Hit them harder." There were just two outcomes, he said. "You were cured of cancer or you died."

But, he said, the mind-set has changed. He sees it in his own specialty, ovarian cancer, where many women now live five years, ten years or even longer after the initial diagnosis.

"We talk of control, of preventing tumor growth," he said. "Conceptually, it's an incredible paradigm shift. We will not necessarily be able to eliminate this invader but we will be able, with drugs, to let you live with it for some undefined period of time. And not in bed so sick that you wonder if life is worth living."

Q1 : 'in an era where' is odd to me. 'in as era when' is more natural I think. Could you tell me your answer?

Q2 : I think the function of 'longer' is a noun, because it is connected with nouns by using 'or' and 'a comma'. What do you think?

Q3 : The structure of underlined portion is odd to me. Could you tell me the structure?

All the best,

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1- I'd use 'when' as 'era' refers to time, but the distinction between where\when does blur a bit in such phrases.

2- I don't think it is a noun- it's a comparative adjective modifying 'ten years'. I don't think it's an adverb modifying 'live' here, but it could be in other case.

3- It's a bit of a mess because it shouldn't really be in a separate sentence. If you delete the full stop (period), you can trace it back to 'let you live... and not so sick....'