Thread: Essay writing

tangelatm is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Essay writing

Hi there,
    I’m supposed to write an essay on my teaching methods and, in an effort to avoid clichés, I found myself in a difficult situation: I’m not sure whether the figurative use of some terms is ok.
    Could you please tell me if the following are ok in terms of meaning and grammar?
    1.a It all went according to (lesson) plan, exercises and all, except that I suddenly came to notice the unsmiling faces of my students – they would trudge on across the vast quick sands of grammar rules, trapped between / by implacable, stifling "do's and "don'ts".
    1b. ... they would trudge on across the vast quick sands of grammar rules, implacably stating the “do's" and "don'ts” they had to closely observe on their arduous march;
    Which of these two (1a or 1b do you find more appropriate?)
    2. I’m painfully aware of the fact that “Nobody’s perfect.” and that, consequently, “Practice makes perfect.” Are you too? / Aren’t you too?
    (I mean aware of the previously mentioned facts: practice...and nobody's...) Which of these two – if any - should I use here?
    A big thank you,
    Angela

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Essay writing

1.a It all went according to (lesson) plan, exercises and all, except that I suddenly came to notice [became aware of] the unsmiling faces of my students – they would trudge on [trudging/struggling] across the vast quicksands of grammar rules, trapped between / by implacable, stifling "do's and "don'ts".

1b. ... they would trudge on across the vast quick sands of grammar rules, implacably stating the “do's" and "don'ts” they had to closely observe on their arduous march;

Which of these two (1a or 1b do you find more appropriate?) Both a bit over the top. but with my changes I prefer the first. nb "quicksands".

2. I’m painfully aware of the fact that “Nobody’s perfect” and that, consequently, “Practice makes perfect”. Are you too? nb punctuation changes.