Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: could listening english songs be helpful in learning english

It can help to train the ear to hear the sounds of English, though singing words is not the same as saying them. It is also true that listening to songs will not teach you formal English, and with many modern songs the content and language is extremely informal.

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly! Though we may learn from songs, it is not enough that we stick with it. Use a variety of ways and resources to learn more and in a broader sense.

Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, listening to music helps learning a foreign language but it is not enough. Grammar is unavoidable!

By the way, what songs do you recommend? Give me some song titles that can be helpful in a classroom. I'll be grateful to you,

thank you in advance,

Madox

Post Thanks / Like

Songs aren't everything as mentioned but they can be a lot , if properly done.

"grammar is unavoidable" -- I really don't know how to take this. Do you mean that we need to teach it? If so, I disagree. If you mean, we can't avoid it because it is a feature of any language, totally agree.

We have a whole group devoted to the use of Karaoke in the classroom (and karaoke not just meaning "song" but also as true text to voice application - essays, poetry, books, stories and more. )

Click the link at ddd.batcave.net - Home for a full explanation and even in the karaoke file (scroll down and hit the karaoke resource button on the left.), find out how to make a karaoke by following the screencast. On our community, EFL Classroom we have plenty of threads on this topic and our buzka of music sites is full of great help (click the link on the main page). and reference.

David
    EFL CLASSROOM 2.0
    Last edited by ddeubel; 12-Oct-2007 at 13:03.

knowledge is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Everybody,
    In my opinion improving English needs speaking power,the more you speak the more you will improve. Another thing read interesting story books, I myself read Enid Blyton Adventurous stories , the third thing which has improved my listening power is by listening Nasheed songs like that of Sami Yusuf and Zain Bhikh.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: could listening english songs be helpful in learning english

I am an ESL teacher and I am also a poet. Knowing full well that students of English (including English students) find that what you see in English is not what you say, and also knowing that words that sound alike are spelt completely differently at times, I have produced well over 300 poems and added my own clear English voice recording to each poem. English children asked me to do this to help them with reading. Now I find that ESL students from all over the world are using the poems. They are freely available, and a present from me to help you. You will find them here: http://www.whiteheadm.co.uk/html/josies_poetry.htm I get letters from ESL students, and entry in my guestbook, all the time. I hope you all find them very useful.

Rock !n Rose is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: could listening english songs be helpful in learning english

hi every 1
    i`m new member over here

well ... personally, i found that it`s really usefull way to learn english and
    it helped me more in speaking

but still not the best way if you really want to improve your English.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding my post above......

I've put up some resources for teachers besides the karaoke I mentioned. I just put up a Quick Karaoke page on EFL Classroom 2.0 When you get there, either click the MORE tab or scroll down and hit the Quick Karaoke link in the What's New box...

Hundred's of songs at the push of a button. Words too, all original. Hope you like it and it is meant for both students and teachers. Take a look. Sing on!

David

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Hi! Everybody,
    In my opinion improving English needs speaking power,the more you speak the more you will improve. Another thing read interesting story books, I myself read Enid Blyton Adventurous stories , the third thing which has improved my listening power is by listening Nasheed songs like that of Sami Yusuf and Zain Bhikh.
    I remember listening to a lecture by Ayaan Hirsi Ali who said that she learned English by reading Enid Blyton novels. They must be quite popular for teaching English.

As for songs, I guess the key is to pick something where the singer is singing, clearly and in full sentences. I also suspect that songs that tell of story are better.

Firstly, you can't go wrong with anything by Jeff Buckley, Tim Buckley, The Smiths or Bright Eyes. The first three also have really clear voices so you should be able to understand them pretty clearly. And I think the following songs would be good too:

Death Cab For Cutie - Lack Of Color, Transatlanticism, Crooked Teeth, Soul Meets Body, We Looked Like Giants.

The Flaming Lips - Fight Test, One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Part 1, Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell, Are You A Hypnotist, Do You Realise, Race For The Prize, Waitin' For Superman, Suddenly Everything Has Changed, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, The Sound Of Failure, Mr. Ambulance Driver.

The Decemberists - The Island: Come & See/The Landlord's Daughter/You Will Not Feel The Drowning (yes that is all one song), O Valencia, We Both Go Down Together.

The Shins - Mine's Not A High Horse, So Says I, Young Pilgrims, Saint Simon, Fighting In A Sack, Gone For Good.

All of these artists sing in full sentences for the most part, and I have great taste in music, so they're all outstanding songs too.

And if you ever want the biggest English language challenge of your life, try listening to Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan.

knowledge is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    I have listened Zain Bhikha and Sami yusuf songs these songs are clear and complete and in easy way and the lyrics are good too. I think in the begining of learning process one should go for easy learning not complicated songs

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    I remember listening to a lecture by Ayaan Hirsi Ali who said that she learned English by reading Enid Blyton novels. They must be quite popular for teaching English.

As for songs, I guess the key is to pick something where the singer is singing, clearly and in full sentences. I also suspect that songs that tell of story are better.

Firstly, you can't go wrong with anything by Jeff Buckley, Tim Buckley, The Smiths or Bright Eyes. The first three also have really clear voices so you should be able to understand them pretty clearly. And I think the following songs would be good too:

Death Cab For Cutie - Lack Of Color, Transatlanticism, Crooked Teeth, Soul Meets Body, We Looked Like Giants.

The Flaming Lips - Fight Test, One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Part 1, Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell, Are You A Hypnotist, Do You Realise, Race For The Prize, Waitin' For Superman, Suddenly Everything Has Changed, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, The Sound Of Failure, Mr. Ambulance Driver.

The Decemberists - The Island: Come & See/The Landlord's Daughter/You Will Not Feel The Drowning (yes that is all one song), O Valencia, We Both Go Down Together.

The Shins - Mine's Not A High Horse, So Says I, Young Pilgrims, Saint Simon, Fighting In A Sack, Gone For Good.

All of these artists sing in full sentences for the most part, and I have great taste in music, so they're all outstanding songs too.

And if you ever want the biggest English language challenge of your life, try listening to Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan.
    Last edited by knowledge; 29-Oct-2007 at 17:35.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast