Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

SOHAIL SHEIKH72 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post could listening english songs be helpful in learning english

Hi. Would u mind telling me that listening english songs could be helpful in improving english?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: could listening english songs be helpful in learning english

I think It's a good way to improve your english, especially pronounciation.
    When I was learning english I tried to listen to english songs as much as I could, even teachers used to bring us tapes of english or american singers so as to learn from their songs, my advice to you is to well choose the songs, because there are some of them that use words and tenses on the wrong way, so focus on classics.
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SOHAIL SHEIKH72 View Post
    Hi. Would u mind telling me that listening english songs could be helpful in improving english?

Hi SOHAIL SHEIKH72!
    I think that to listen to music is a great way to improve English.
    I learned a lot just listening to english songs: my pronunciation got better and I learned many new words.
    Try to listen to Coldplay. Their lyrics are simple and their sound is very nice!
    Bye!

aous02 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

I always hear people talking about listening to music as being very important, and no one seems to disagree.
    Here's what I think:
    Listening to music can be quite interesting and helpful, especially when it comes to pronouncition, but I still believe it's a waste of time. It doesn't teach correct grammar, spelling, punctuation,... . I'm a third year student of English and scarcely ever do I listen to songs, if at all I do. Most of my friends do listen to music, but in the end of the day I came in first in my class.
    I belive that all kinds of activities are of some importance, but I strongly believe that reading is the best thing one can do to improve his English. Some people find reading boring and resort to watching films, listening to music, news... .
    Personally I would pick up a book I like. Once feeling bored, I'll try something else.

This is my opinion which I strongly believe in, but this doesn't mean that I'm right. But I like to believ in it as it worked so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aous02 View Post
    I always hear people talking about listening to music as being very important, and no one seems to disagree.
    Here's what I think:
    Listening to music can be quite interesting and helpful, especially when it comes to pronouncition, but I still believe it's a waste of time. It doesn't teach correct grammar, spelling, punctuation,... . I'm a third year student of English and scarcely ever do I listen to songs, if at all I do. Most of my friends do listen to music, but in the end of the day I came in first in my class.
    I belive that all kinds of activities are of some importance, but I strongly believe that reading is the best thing one can do to improve his English. Some people find reading boring and resort to watching films, listening to music, news... .
    Personally I would pick up a book I like. Once feeling bored, I'll try something else.

This is my opinion which I strongly believe in, but this doesn't mean that I'm right. But I like to believ in it as it worked so far.
    Yeah, in my opinion, reading books is a good method to learn E, but vocabulary and grammar only. I think grammar isn't too important at all( i don't mean to disagree with your opinion :P), especially in conversation.So Listening to E songs is another way to improve your ability of listen aswell :).
    But as for myself, Listening E songs will develop your E slowly because of the 3 reasons below( Maybe only for myself )
    Firstly,when I listen to E songs, the singers usually sing without some words so I can't hear them.
    Secondly, there're alot of new words in songs It's quite difficult for me to combine with another words which I know in the sentence.
    Thirdly, Singers often sing the word of the song in tune so that some words aren't pronunced correctly, maybe they are uttered longer or shorter. How tough it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that listening to music in English would be a great way to learn the language! Just be careful though - sometimes artists change words or alter their pronunciation slightly in order to make the lyrics fit with the music.

Daizee

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aous02 View Post
    Here's what I think:

We have different ways of learning a language, specially E. There are a thousand ways to kill a cat, the old saying tells us.
    I agree with what you said that reading books is one of the best things to learn E. It pays a lot. Read intensively, study, and extensively, explore. I do reading myself, I am more of a bookworm, I guess, I couldnīt spend a day without reading something so I bring my books to work. I look like a high school student here carrying a backpack with books, but I donīt mind, I would love to learn more and part of this is English.
    Watching movies, news, films, etc... also helps a lot. This gets us updated of what new things happen around us and that it wouldnīt get us blank having conversations with other people.
    But I donīt agree that learning from music is a waste of time. We all have different levels of learning and some even hate learning. Reading has been a tedious activity for those who canīt stand being immobile for a long period of time. Music is one way for them to learn for itīs a fun way of learning. The expressions learned is easy to keep in mind and not easily forgotten.
    I donīt learn much by listening to music though, but I think I do unconsciously. I read books and any article I could find. I watch TV for movies and news. I start up conversations in English with my colleagues. I learn from ads anywhere I pass by. I learn from almost anything I hear and read. Thereīs a lot of ways and if you could utilize all of these, I am convinced that learning will be faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, listening to music is not the best way to learn English, but through it youīll learn how to express yourself...

Rap and R n B songs nowadays contain wrong grammar thatīs why itīs not adviseable to use īem when youīre writing something.

But still, It think why rap or r n b songs became less grammatically correct/ or should I say grammatically wrong is that they just have the rhymes... (what makes it worse, most rap songs are just nonsense (that is, itīs always about s+x) tsk tsk tsk...

So I suggest, just watch English stuffs so would acquire the accent as well... not just the correct grammar...

I think I made sense...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: could listening english songs be helpful in learning english

Rock-Alt is cool though ^^

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Pete,

Though we learn from listening to music, we must also be very cautious. It is now more into giving very informal, at worst obscene, language that isnīt very helpful if youīre learning it for school and business purposes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast