Thread: accent problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default accent problem

Hi everyone !
    I've been reading about the things you wrote since i registered it seems so cozy,i hope we will help eachother when its necessary.I'm a student at the university n its my 4th year in ELT.I have lots of question marks in my head.First,i dont know which accent to teach.When i started to learn English,my teachers used Grammar-Translation Method to teach,so i didn't have the chance to improve my pronunciation.I tried to do it on my own.At first,i really enjoyed the British accent but then i realized all the songs i heard n all the movies i watched were with American accent.I tried to concentrate on the American one,n i taught it sometimes but now i've changed my mind.If its English,it should be British English,huh?Am i wrong?Which one is the best?In my country,people dont care about the accents,but i do..because its me who will teach it.I need your advice..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: accent problem

Hi,

If you want to to use British English then the standard is known as 'received pronunciation'. It is widely used in business, media, and academia and is understood across Britain and beyond.

I use a book entitled 'Get Rid of Your Accent', by Linda James and Olga Smith. It is accompanied by a CD and follows a very simple, yet effective, method.

Of course, there are other books available, but I have found this one to be quite suitable.

Kind regards,

Westley

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much..ill try to find it,i hope it works

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind. Working on your accent is physical, so practise makes perfect. Try not to think about it as much as doing it!

After many years of using your muscles to create the sounds of your native tongue, it'll take a while to get into the new habit - much like beginning a new sport.