Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Out of the woods

    Do you use this expression only in reference to danger, sickness?
    How about from too much work, is it applicable?

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    "Out of the woods" >> to continue having difficulties although a situation has improved.

    The financial situation is improving but we aren't out of the woods yet.

    We are having problems with staffing and hope to have new recruits soon, but it is difficult to see when we will be out of the woods.

    I do not think it is a phrase easily used in relation to too much work. How about you give us a sentence in which you think it might be used.

  3. #3
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "Out of the woods" >> to continue having difficulties although a situation has improved.

    The financial situation is improving but we aren't out of the woods yet.

    We are having problems with staffing and hope to have new recruits soon, but it is difficult to see when we will be out of the woods.

    I do not think it is a phrase easily used in relation to too much work. How about you give us a sentence in which you think it might be used.
    Out of the woods >> out of a dangerous, perplexing, or difficult situation(this I wonder if the three could be separated or is it an absolutely one whole definition of the given idiom)

    * Even at weekend, I spent time doing such a tedious job at work but Im out of the woods now.

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Out of the woods >> out of a dangerous, perplexing, or difficult situation(this I wonder if the three could be separated or is it an absolutely one whole definition of the given idiom)

    * Even at weekend, I spent time doing such a tedious job at work but Im out of the woods now.
    That might be possible, but I don't think so.

    It is certainly common in medical contexts. Example:
    Doctor to patient's family: She's not out of the woods yet, but it looks like she'll pull through.
    It seems to be used mostly in the negative.

    ~R

  5. #5
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    Okay, so Id say that the full expression is: not out of the woods
    And its commonly used in problems that are crucial and difficult to entangle. And also for medical situations.

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    The Internet seems to agree with you (mostly).
    Results 1 - 10 of about 33,000,000 for not out of the woods
    not out of the woods - Google Search
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,630,000 for not out of the woods yet
    not out of the woods yet - Google Search
    out of the woods
    Out of difficulties, danger or trouble, as in We're through the worst of the recession--we're out of the woods now, or That pneumonia was serious, but Charles is finally out of the woods. This expression, alluding to having been lost in a forest, dates from Roman times; it was first recorded in English in 1792. The British usage is out of the wood.
    out of the woods: Information from Answers.com

  7. #7
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    Most of the examples in the internet are business related usually saying theyre not out of the woods yet. And we see there also using Im out of the woods now. Does this make my first sentence a legitimate example?

    * Even at weekend, I spent time doing such a tedious job at work but Im out of the woods now.

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Out of the woods

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Most of the examples in the internet are business related usually saying theyre not out of the woods yet. And we see there also using Im out of the woods now. Does this make my first sentence a legitimate example?

    * Even at weekend, I spent time doing such a tedious job at work but Im out of the woods now.
    Yes, you can use that.

Similar Threads

  1. Stopping by woods on a snowy evening
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2007, 11:58
  2. another one, thank you very much~/The woods
    By jimmy in forum Literature
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 16:07
  3. trees in the woods
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jan-2007, 14:37
  4. Came out of the woods
    By MW in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2006, 23:49
  5. Collocation 'rich woods'
    By Veronikap in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2005, 12:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk