Anonymous Guest

Default printing M&M's Help

Please help; I am going to have M&M's printed for my son's birthday party and I am stumped on how to show ownership with his name. Should I add ('s) or just an (') after the s in his name? Nicholas's Birthday or Nicholas' Birthday? Thanks for any help.

Susie Smith Guest

Default Re: printing M&M's Help

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl069
    Please help; I am going to have M&M's printed for my son's birthday party and I am stumped on how to show ownership with his name. Should I add ('s) or just an (') after the s in his name? Nicholas's Birthday or Nicholas' Birthday? Thanks for any help.
    To form the possessive of one-syllable singular nouns that end in s, add 's.

James's birthday

To form the possessive of words of more than one syllable that end in s, add an ' or an 's.

1) Add an apostrophe + s: Nicholas's birthday
    2) Add only an apostrophe: Nicholas' birthday

So, you can take your pick.
    :) :wink:

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: printing M&M's Help

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl069
    There are many rules that govern the formation of plurals of names/titles ending in "s". One that I like says that you should use the "'s" if you would pronounce the "s" and to use only the apostrophe is you would not pronounce the "s".

So, would you pronounce it as Nicholases (Nicholas's) birthday or Nicholas (Nicholas') birthday?