• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the main idea of the following paragraph?

Hello Everyone,

It is reported in yahoo online that Sen. Craig is forced to resign due to the charges that he ever had homesexual activities.

The following paragraph is selected from that report. Could you please confirm or tell me the main idea ?

A fiscal and social conservative, Craig sometimes broke with his party, notably on immigration, where he pushed changes that many in his party said offered "amnesty" to illegal immigrants. Much of the impetus behind Craig's push to ease bureaucratic hurdles to immigrant farm workers stemmed from his background as a rancher and the state's large rural, farming community.

I think it tells us that Craig argues that illegal aliens should be offered legal citizenship as he himself ows a large farm. Such amnesty, he consider, may bring more labours to his ranch, which can greatly promote the farm develpment.

And by the way what does ease bureaucratic hurdles to immigrant farm workers mean here?

Regards

Sky

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the main idea of the following paragraph?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

It was reported in yahoo online that Sen. Craig was forced to resign due to the charges that he engaged in homesexual activities (in a public restroom, with an undercover police officer).

The following paragraph is selected from that report. Could you please confirm or tell me the main idea ?

A fiscal and social conservative, Craig sometimes broke with his party, notably on immigration, where he pushed changes that many in his party said offered "amnesty" to illegal immigrants. Much of the impetus behind Craig's push to ease bureaucratic hurdles to immigrant farm workers stemmed from his background as a rancher and the state's large rural, farming community.

I think it tells us that Craig argues that illegal aliens should be offered citizenship as he himself ows a large farm. Such amnesty, he thinks, may bring more laborers to his ranch, which could help him run his farm.

And by the way what does ease bureaucratic hurdles to immigrant farm workers mean here?

Regards

Sky
    Unless I am mistaken, Craig wishes to give those who are illegal aliens and want to work in this country (USA) legal immigrant status or guest worker status.

Reducing bureaucratic hurdles would, for example, mean making it easier, for example, to get something like a temporary visa.

Does that help?

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, not so much for his own ranch, but for the ranches that are typical of those in the state that he represents. He knows first-hand what the challenges are from his own experience, but it's his job to represent the best interests of all people in his state.

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Also, not so much for his own ranch, but for the ranches that are typical of those in the state that he represents. He knows first-hand what the challenges are from his own experience, but it's his job to represent the best interests of all people in his state.

Thank you!

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, Craig wishes to give those who are illegal aliens and want to work in this country (USA) legal immigrant status or guest worker status.

Reducing bureaucratic hurdles would, for example, mean making it easier, for example, to get something like a temporary visa.

Does that help?

Thanks a lot!