Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by james_chew_84
    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    I am not sure I get your point.
    In my sentence "his" stands for "his car". I could write it:
    "If I were you, I'd take my car and not his car."
    "If I were you, I'd accept my offer and not his offer."
    I don't see how one can use "the" here.
    i don't know what you're talking either. what i know is the person you're talking to probably knows whose car it is of.So, using my his your or whatever is no needed to show possession.Don't you agree with me Mike?
    In this case, I don't agree. There is a difference between his car and my car. :wink:
    sorry for saying his. it was my mistake to type it in.let's say. we're both having a conversation and it doesnt involve any third person. my and your, you me or whatever is not needed because we already have an undestanding of whom the car belongs to.and if it involve a third person than say if i were you, i would take his car.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry for saying his. it was my mistake to type it in.let's say. we're both having a conversation and it doesnt involve any third person. my and your, you me or whatever is not needed because we already have an undestanding of whom the car belongs to.and if it involve a third person than say if i were you, i would take his car.
    OK, but suppose each of us has a car and we are discussing your taking one of the cars on a long trip.

If I said "If I were you, I'd take xxx car", we couldn't use "the" in that context. If we use "my" or "your" it could be confusing. Which car is mine, if I am you?

I think we could work it out, but the point is that the pronouns can cause some confusion. :wink:

james_chew_84 Guest

OK, but suppose each of us has a car and we are discussing your taking one of the cars on a long trip.

If I said "If I were you, I'd take xxx car", we couldn't use "the" in that context. If we use "my" or "your" it could be confusing. Which car is mine, if I am you?

I think we could work it out, but the point is that the pronouns can cause some confusion. :wink:
    I think there isn't any confusion here.If we are planning to take my car, i would say if i were you, i would take my car.if we are planning to take his car. i would say if i were you i would take your car.Let's just put this to a stop. i wouldn't want to confuse myself.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there isn't any confusion here.If we are planning to take my car, i would say if i were you, i would take my car.if we are planning to take his car. i would say if i were you i would take your car.Let's just put this to a stop. i wouldn't want to confuse myself.
    :wink:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234