Thread: What are these?

Lovely Star Pupil Guest

Question What are these?

Hi !
    I'm a student. I have a question about the name of the following words. Can anyone help me out?
    My question is;
    What are have to, about to and going to? Are these three Modal Auxiliary Verbs, Expressions or something else?
    I've read so many books to find out the exact answer to my question but I still haven't got it. The grammar books are silent in this regard. Only one book says that about to is the Modal Auxiliary Verb.
    If you can tell me the names according to Parts of Speech or Grammar by splitting words apart, it'll be easier for me to understand and quench the thirst of knowing what accually I want to know e.g. I have done my homwork. I is the subject of the sentence, have is a principal auxiliary verb used to form the Present Perfect Tense, done is the past prticiple of do (third form of the verb)(transitive), my is the possesive adjective and in the end homework is an uncountable noun used here as the object of the verb done.

victor su is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: What are these?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovely Star Pupil View Post
    Hi !
    I'm a student. I have a question about the name of the following words. Can anyone help me out?
    My question is;
    What are have to, about to and going to? Are these three Modal Auxiliary Verbs, Expressions or something else?
    I've read so many books to find out the exact answer to my question but I still haven't got it. The grammar books are silent in this regard. Only one book says that about to is the Modal Auxiliary Verb.
    If you can tell me the names according to Parts of Speech or Grammar by splitting words apart, it'll be easier for me to understand and quench the thirst of knowing what accually I want to know e.g. I have done my homwork. I is the subject of the sentence, have is a principal auxiliary verb used to form the Present Perfect Tense, done is the past prticiple of do (third form of the verb)(transitive), my is the possesive adjective and in the end homework is an uncountable noun used here as the object of the verb done.

I am also an English learner. At the begining we always focused on grammar.
    But later I found that the sense of the language is much more important. The more I learn about English the less I can remember the rules. Once my teacher analyzed the difference of the two 'as's in the phrase "as white as snow", but now I don't see the necessity of knowing this. It just makes the language rather dull.

Dawood Usmani is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are these?

Thanks for replying but this was not the answer to my question. I'm often asked this type of things by my students ,I give some pupils tutions as well, but I fail to satisfy them. They are also keen learners like me.
    I hope one answers soon.

engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: What are these?

be about to do something - it's a phrase with the adjective - about - used:
    I was about to leave when... = I was on the point of leaving when...

have to do something - it's sometimes called a semi-modal verb; but to me, it's a simple verb, with auxiliaries (like do or did) used:
    I had to clean up the whole kitchen.
    I didn't have to do any washing up.
    Does she have to go there?

be going to do something - it's an expression of intention, or prediction:
    Mr and Mrs Patterson were going to spend their holiday...
    Oh dear! Just look at the sky - it's going to rain.

Remember - I am not a teacher!

Dawood Usmani is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: What are these?

Thanks very much for your answer. It's really helped me a lot but a piece of thirst is still remaining. I hope one gets it quenched too. How can we analyze the sentence " Mr and Mrs Patterson were going to spend their holiday..."? for example Mr and Rs Patterson are the proper nouns used as the subject of the sentence, are is the auxiliary verb... (or is this a main verb?)
    Question: What is the going here? Is this a main verb with (present participal) or adjective or something else? What is to spend their...? is this a complement (objective or subjective) or object (of going) or something else?
    I have a lot of confusion about analysis these things. They are realyy pricking me.
    Regards

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lovely Star Pupil View Post
    Hi !
    My question is;

HAVE TO -equivalent form for must
    Have to - expresses external obligation.
    e.g. I have to do my homework; my teacher asked me to do it. -present tense simple
    I had to do my homework. -past tense simple
    I will have to do my homework - future simple tense

ABOUT TO -refers to the immediate future. It means that something will happen without delay [ this is one of the seven ways to express the future in English]
    e.g. He is about to leave.

BE GOING TO - is used to express your will or intention. It can also be used to express future events which you are quite certain will happen. This is stronger than a prediction.
    I am going to save some money for my next summer holiday.

Summary:

Have to is the equivalent form for the modal verb must

Be about to and be going to are ways of expressing future tense.

source :The Future!!!
    Last edited by Teia; 06-Sep-2007 at 13:26.

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done my homework.

I - is the subject of the sentence,

have done - predicate of the sentence : present perfect tense formed of the auxiliary verb have and the past participle of the verb do.

my - attribute : possessive adjective

homework - direct object : homework = uncountable noun