Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default I lied/ the slip of my tounge.

    I learned that Americans say " I lied." when they said something
    wrong in a book.
    Can I say:

    It is just the slip of my tounge?

    Which one is used most often by American?

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A slip of the tongue is not the same as a lie; it is when you say something accidentally, either using the wrong word or saying something buy accident that you were not meant to say.

  3. #3
    zhengl_2000 Guest

    Default How do Americans say when they say sth wrong by accident?

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A slip of the tongue is not the same as a lie; it is when you say something accidentally, either using the wrong word or saying something buy accident that you were not meant to say.

    The situation is:

    I am a waiter. I brought one customer's to-go order out and told
    her "here is your sweet sour chicken." ( what I wanted to say is pork.)

    "Chicken? It should be pork." she said.
    "Oh ,I am sorry. It is pork. "

    "Your sweet sour chicken is $7."( I slipped my tongue again.)
    "That should be pork." She looked upset.

    "XXxxxxxxxxxxx." (what should I say here? ) <Can I say I lied?>

  4. #4
    zhengl_2000 Guest

    Default Re: How do Americans say when they say sth wrong by accident

    Quote Originally Posted by zhengl_2000
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A slip of the tongue is not the same as a lie; it is when you say something accidentally, either using the wrong word or saying something buy accident that you were not meant to say.

    The situation is:

    I am a waiter. I brought one customer's to-go order out and told
    her "here is your sweet sour chicken." ( what I wanted to say is pork.)

    "Chicken? It should be pork." she said.
    "Oh ,I am sorry. It is pork. "

    "Your sweet sour chicken is $7."( I slipped my tongue again.)
    "That should be pork." She looked upset.

    "XXxxxxxxxxxxx." (what should I say here? ) <Can I say I lied?>

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do Americans say when they say sth wrong by accident

    Quote Originally Posted by zhengl_2000
    Quote Originally Posted by zhengl_2000
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A slip of the tongue is not the same as a lie; it is when you say something accidentally, either using the wrong word or saying something buy accident that you were not meant to say.

    The situation is:

    I am a waiter. I brought one customer's to-go order out and told
    her "here is your sweet sour chicken." ( what I wanted to say is pork.)

    "Chicken? It should be pork." she said.
    "Oh ,I am sorry. It is pork. "


    "Your sweet sour chicken is $7."( I slipped my tongue again.)
    "That should be pork." She looked upset.

    "XXxxxxxxxxxxx." (what should I say here? ) <Can I say I lied?>
    A slip of the tongue is exactly what it says. Something "escaped", something was said that was not intended to be said.
    A lied is intended misinformation.
    You will hear the word fib. A fib is a small lie, a little adjustment of reality.

    In the example of take-out food I do not think the word lie applies. I would call it miscommunication.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •