Post Thanks / Like

Default a lamentable ruin in the searching glare

More "poetic" prose that I don't understand. Could someone please explain to me what the author means by a lamentable ruin in the searching glare.

His face, a livid brown, with red blotches of anger and lips sunken in like an old man's, was a lamentable ruin in the searching glare.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a lamentable ruin in the searching glare

I suspect the phrase 'lamentable ruin' is a quote (sounds Biblical, though I can't place it; nearest I get is this Calvin commentary on Isaiah: Calvin's Commentaries, Vol. 15: Isaiah, Part III: Chapter 35 ).

b

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the passage, the glare of the electric light at the end of the wharf reveals the ruined nature of Mr Royall's pale and blotched face.

I agree that there may well be a Biblical reference in the term "lamentable ruin", though I feel Wharton is more concerned with the physical state of Royall's face than a metaphysical meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Looking at the passage, the glare of the electric light at the end of the wharf reveals the ruined nature of Mr Royall's pale and blotched face.

I agree that there may well be a Biblical reference in the term "lamentable ruin", though I feel Wharton is more concerned with the physical state of Royall's face than a metaphysical meaning.
    Yes, I think you're right, Anglika. It's not very hard to visualize his drunken face in that kind of light. Thanks.