Post Thanks / Like

Default sorry to bother you guys, again, but...

I have quite a good grasp of the English language, and really enjoy writing, but i find myself with a dilema, i hope someone can help. I have been set tasks to do before i undertake a course to become a TESOL teacher, and i am having trouble defining terms that i have ceased to think about, i was last in education 7 years ago (yikes!). Here goes; i have been asked to define a) a simple sentence, b) a compound sentence and c) a complex sentence. I am aware of what they are but am finding it difficult to give a concise answer. As i am in France at the moment i have no access to literature that would help me. Could anyone help? I realise that this is a poor start to my would be career as a teacher...

albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sorry to bother you guys, again, but...

Quote Originally Posted by bazpazazz View Post
    I have quite a good grasp of the English language, and really enjoy writing, but i find myself with a dilema, i hope someone can help. I have been set tasks to do before i undertake a course to become a TESOL teacher, and i am having trouble defining terms that i have ceased to think about, i was last in education 7 years ago (yikes!). Here goes; i have been asked to define a) a simple sentence, b) a compound sentence and c) a complex sentence. I am aware of what they are but am finding it difficult to give a concise answer. As i am in France at the moment i have no access to literature that would help me. Could anyone help? I realise that this is a poor start to my would be career as a teacher...
    What about here.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sorry to bother you guys, again, but...

Sounds to me as if the task is for you to research what's out there on that topic so that you can gain a better understanding of it. You know, the people who provide TESOL courses know that students are going to look for help on-line, so... Have you tried looking up the topic on the internet? If not, here are a few sites to help you get started:

Sentences:* Simple, Compound, and Complex
    The Structure of a Sentence
    Simple, Compound, and Complex Sentences

If you have any questions about what you find, let us know, but, and please remember, we are teachers, so we cannot help you directly with your assignment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: sorry to bother you guys, again, but...

A point in the right direction was all that i required. Thank you very much! It is not as if i do not know what they are, just defining was proving difficult, as they are tools i use without thinking of them.

Thanks again