Post Thanks / Like

a model leaflet for university, please!

I need some advice on how to write a leaflet (and if the grammar, vocabulary and stile in the one I've written is ok). I have to write a leaflet in order to inform foreign students who are attending to my university during the next course. I must give briefly information about the organization and give advices about how to fit with Spanish people. It canít be so long (250 words more or less) and I have to say hello at the same time. Do you think can I use contractions in leaflets? This one is written for foreign students who are attending to my university along the next academic year. It must transmit information from the university but, at the same time, say hello, how formal do you think it should be?
    Thank you everybody. You are being quite nice to me and youíre helping me a lot!

A YEAR OUT OF HOME
    Welcome to Madrid!

First of all, congratulation for getting the scholarship that is providing you the opportunity of passing a year abroad.

There are many different cultures in Spain. They can seem quite similar at first sight but if you learn how to understand them you will be able to notice some significant differences. All these cultures meet in Madrid, furthermore, you will be able to know many foreign students, most of them from Europe.

Organization:

The academic year starts on 1st October ((they usually write dates like that in letters, but Iíve seen it in the other order in some writings)) and finishes on 30th June. The lessons are from 9 p.m. to 7 p.m. (you will be able to find your own schedule on our internet page which is ((can you omit which is??)) available in English).

Exams are taken in February and in June. The university, in our web site, gives their dates.

You are joining to one of the best universities in Madrid and we hope you can enjoy your stay without problems. Because of that we would be pleased of solving your doubts in the secretary, which is placed at the medicine building (you can find an attached map in the leaflet).

How to enjoy your visit

You have probably heard that Spanish people are very friendly. If you want to fit here it is recommended that you go to the parties that are organized by the university once a month (as an exception are February and June as you will be taking you exams during these months).

If you require any further information, please, do not hesitate in asking anyone. We will be pleased of helping you to enjoy your stay!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: a model leaflet for university, please!

Quote Originally Posted by venerupis View Post
    I need some advice on how to write a leaflet (and if the grammar, vocabulary and style in the one I've written are ok). I have to write a leaflet in order to inform foreign students who are attending to my university during the next course. I must give briefly information about the organization and give advices about how to fit with Spanish people. It canít be so long (250 words more or less) and I have to say hello at the same time. Do you think can I use contractions in leaflets? This one is written for foreign students who are attending to my university along the next academic year. It must transmit information from the university but, at the same time, say hello, how formal do you think it should be?
    Thank you everybody. You are being quite nice to me and youíre helping me a lot!

A YEAR OUT OF HOME
    Welcome to Madrid!

First of all, congratulations on getting the scholarship that is providing you with the opportunity of passing [OR spending] a year abroad.

There are many different cultures in Spain. They can seem quite similar at first sight but if you learn how to understand them you will be able to notice some significant differences. All these cultures meet in Madrid. Furthermore, you will be able to know [get to know / meet] many other foreign students, most of them from Europe.

Organization:

The academic year starts on 1st October ((they usually write dates like that in letters, but Iíve seen it in the other order in some writings Use which way you like best.)) and finishes on 30th June. The lessons are from 9 p.m.[?a.m.] to 7 p.m. (you will be able to find your own schedule on our internet page [?website/ university website]which is ((can you omit which is??I would leave it in.)) available in English). Exams are taken in February and in June. The university, in our web site, gives their dates. The dates for this are given on the website.

You are joining to one of the best universities in Madrid and we hope you can [will] enjoy your stay without any problems. Because of [To ensure]that we will be pleased of solving your doubts in the secretary which is placed at [to answer any questions. Come to the University Secretarial Office{{or whatever it is properly called}}, which is located in the medicine building (you can find it on the map in the leaflet).

How to enjoy your visit

You have probably heard that Spanish people are very friendly. If you want to fit here [in,] it is recommended that you go to the parties that are organized by the university once a month (as an exception are [apart from] February and June as you will be taking you exams during these months).

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate in asking anyone. We will be pleased of helping [to help] you to enjoy your stay!

Do you have a student union or some kind of central group that they should be encouraged to join? Are there places where students can meet and chat, and maybe have a coffee? If so, I think you should mention these as that is where the foreign students will first connect with native students.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: a model leaflet for university, please!

Many thank you.. the course is starting soon and I needed to have a definitive thing this week. Let's see.. Yes, we have some kind of organization and there are some pubs where you usually find students, I'll add it Thank you anyway.