Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lucyarliwu Guest

Default Re: any advice on how to improve my english which is in trou

Thanks Ron for your so many good explainations one by one according to every my question and mistaken sentence!

I havenot thought i can get your reply on weekend when people usually spend as their own private time!
    Hope I didnot take too much of your time! :)

Thanks again!

Lucy ( a eager beaver)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. I'm glad you find my explanations useful. (Did you try the link?)

*explanations*

8)

lucyarliwu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    You're welcome. I'm glad you find my explanations useful. (Did you try the link?)

*explanations*

8)
    Thanks for the link for the difference of " infectious and contagious", Ron!
    I did try to link several times, and I only make it once, it seems it's not easy to get through the link.
    :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

*explanations*

8)
    Thanks for the link for the difference of " infectious and contagious", Ron!
    I did try to link several times, and I only make it once, it seems it's not easy to get through the link.
    :)
    I just tried it, and it worked. There are various reasons why a hyperlink might not work. For example, the website might be overly busy, Usually, if you wait a while then click on it again it will work (unless the website is defunct).

8)

Carterlim Guest

Carter Lim Says No Pain, No Gain..., No Money No Game]
    Hi lucyarliwu

I was that you will ask this question... but any how.... your english is quite good.... i really admire your spirit of asking....
    Well if is the vocab is limited.... you can try to read more books such as story book, short story newspaper or even Novel. (of course must with the help of dictionary ) .
    Few Years Ago, I'm facing the same problem as you, in fact worse, my grammar is failing me... my vocab is limited. but i read story books, read newspaper\Magazine and even novel (hardcore english version )..

Everytime i found a new word or a word that i don't understand, i check the dictionary. --> thats for vocab.

For spoken english... well you have just to talk more.. for example with the native englishmen, your friend, coleague, calssmate, roommate and even your family members.... by the way dun be shy to ask. Spoken English and Written english is 2 different thing. Spoken English you have to speak more often er.. let say--> daily basis.. the more you talk the more you getting better.

Forget about memorise all the english new word, just use it in convesation, essay, thesis(if any) or even wrote a letter. you are no walking oxford english dictionary. if you just use the word more often the more you you can remeber the word.(that's what dictionary is for.. for you the check new words ) for example: palindrome.. (check this word)

Watching television is also a good way to inprove your language but beware what you watch, some of the television contain slangs that are not proper english. I recommend that you watch er.. --> "mind you language" (well it really help me to improve my english in such a proper way )

Newspaper is also a very helpfull tools for imporving your english language, while you are reading newspaper(english language).. try to speak out or read it out the contents in the newspaper.. you can try it out at first 1 page or 1 article at a time.

In time... your english language will improve in no time, just don't compare you with the native english spoken countrymen, they speak english language from the age of very young. By the way different country have their own kind of accent. Like people come from british and people come from USA speak very differently.. believe me... if you ever australian their accent even more difficult to understand.(No offence) for example: the word IS A GOOD DAY TODAY you will heard that as they are saying IS A GOO DAY TO DIE

Bottom Line
    3 Easy steps--> Read, Listen and Speak So don't worry lucy .... if you follow my steps your english will improve in time... of course there is no SHORTCUT in learning. Learning takes time. No Pain,No Gain. 8)

Yours Truly,
    CARTER LIM
    01 MARCH 2004
    1.05PM (Malaysia Time)

Sorry if there is any typo.... "a programmer's bad habit"... and i emphasize this is only my personal view of opinion.
    Plagarism is a crime...

Carterlim Guest

hi all

i think i met the most headache trouble on english studying so far since
    i m not a native english speaker but still are so interested in it.

ya, i found that,after studying english for a while, i can speak, i can write,
    i can read, and even i can talk with native-english friends, but the next
    and more difficult thing thrown to me, i can describe something in very simple way, but its not easy to say them in more details, so i m trying to find out the cause for it and owe it to my limited vacabulary. but how to remember all those boring new words in such short time? and its also so easy to forget them totally even after i have looked them up from dictionary from word to word..... and i still canot make it successfully!

any one can help me to overcome those aweful problems for me? and
    i ll be appreicate for your suggestions.

lucy ( in great eager to make it)
    Susie told me about getting a new bicycle. I asked her how she liked her new bicycle. She told me that it is a red bicycle and she likes riding her new bicycle. She said that she rides her bicycle to the market. she rides her bicycle to school. She rides her bicycle to the park. She said she likes her new bicycle and she is glad she has a bicycle. I told her that I am glad she likes her new bicycle.
    Thats your line

For the" Susie told me about getting a new bicycle" --> "Yesterday Susie told me that she brought a new bicycle."

"I asked her how she liked her new bicycle."-->"I asked her whether she likes her new bicycle"

"She told me that it is a red bicycle and she likes riding her new bicycle."-->
    note that you repeat the word bicycle 2 times in a sentence. it should be "She said that it's a red bicycle and she like ridding it."

She said that she rides her bicycle to the market. she rides her bicycle to school. She rides her bicycle to the park.
    note that you split the words in 3 sentences. This can be done by link the 3 sentences together She rides the bicycle to the market, park and school.

I told her that I am glad she likes her new bicycle.
    if it's a conversation it's right.. -->

soo it should end up like this....
    (assume it's yesterday)
    Yesterday Susie told me that she brought a new bicycle. I asked her whether she likes her new bicycle. She said that it's a red bicycle and she like ridding it, she rides the bicycle to the market, park and school. I told her that I am glad she likes her new bicycle.

The above sentences a perfectly suitable for letter writing because the way of writting and the intonation. If it's an essay--> well... different story

yours truly
    CARTERLIM
    01 March 2004
    1.38PM (Malaysia Time)

Plagarism is a Crime..... :mad:
    [/quote]

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Carterlin! Welcome to the forum!

I read your advice about my paragraph. :)

From the original posting:
    I have a suggestion. When you learn a new word use it as often as possible. Following is an example of what I mean using the word bicycle.

Susie told me about getting a new bicycle. I asked her how she liked her new bicycle. She told me that it is a red bicycle and she likes riding her new bicycle. She said that she rides her bicycle to the market. she rides her bicycle to school. She rides her bicycle to the park. She said she likes her new bicycle and she is glad she has a bicycle. I told her that I am glad she likes her new bicycle.

Note that in the preceding paragraph "bicycle" appears ten times; "new" appears five times; "her" appears seven times; and "she" appears ten times. That repetition will reinforce the learning of those words. (It is true that repetition can be boring, but it will certainly help to get the words into your head.)
    As you can see, I have I have emphasized the relevant paragraph by highlighting it in red. While it might not be normal to use the same word so often in conversation, it happens. And nobody reading that paragraph will forget that Susie got a new bicycle and that she likes her new bicycle.

:wink:

Post Thanks / Like

......owe it to my limited vacabulary. but how to remember all those boring new words in such short time?

lucy ( in great eager to make it)
    Lucy, I am an advocate of vocabulary roots. Read newspaper, look up the words you don't understand in the dictionary, and while at it, look at its origin. Also pay attention to signs, commercials, etc. I don't know if you know the following words, but you know what I mean:

Occidental and accidental have similar Latin root, cadere, to fall. When a man falls into a ditch, it is accidental; the side the sun falls down, it is the west side. Occidental is Westerner. (And Asians are orientals living on the side the sun rises.)

Impede and expedite. The Latin root is pes, foot, as in pedal and pedestrian. Impede is to hinder and expedite is to speed up. If you have something on your foot, (im or in + ped=impede) you can't move fast; once removed (ex + ped=expedite), you can speed up.

Aft. Lavatory aft - see this sign on an airplane? Aft is the end of an airplane. (Looks like after?)

Beau. The sweetheart of a girl. The root is related to beautiful.

Tiger Balm. The Asian soothing ointment. What is a balmy day?

That's six words (occidental, impede, expedite, balm, beau and aft) for someone learning English words.

BMO

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's quite interesting, BMO. Much of that was new to me. (I knew the words, but not their origins.)

That is some good advice you gave. Unfortunately, Lucy hasn't been here in a while, tho I don't know why.

I have a bright idea. Maybe your message will bring her back.

:D

Post Thanks / Like

All great minds think alike; we have something else in common, I lived in St. Louis for 8 years. BMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast