Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Peter Piper

  1. #1
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Peter Piper

    Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

    Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers?

    If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,

    where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?


    * Question: What should be the proper intonation of last line, especially the question?

    Do we inflect upward in ¨picked?¨ Like in peppers?

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Peter Piper

    It is a question, so it will be an upward inflection - but since with tongue-twisters the point is to say them as fast as possible without making an error, inflection is usually not important.

  3. #3
    Soup's Avatar
    Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Peter Piper

    ... but since the question starts with where, the intonation should be down, not up.
    Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper `picked? (`down)

  4. #4
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Peter Piper

    My friend said that when the question has a condition, If...before it, it would be an upward inflection at the end

    What do you think?

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Peter Piper

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    My friend said that when the question has a condition, If...before it, it would be an upward inflection at the end

    What do you think?
    Possibly your friend was talking about the 'if' clause:

    If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers [rising inflexion, signalling "there's a main clause coming, so don't interrupt"]

    Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked? [falling intonation, though often with an upward 'flick' at the end - but as Anglika said, in this context (a tongue twister) intonation tends to be pretty flat.]

    b

  6. #6
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Peter Piper

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Possibly your friend was talking about the 'if' clause:

    If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers [rising inflexion, signalling "there's a main clause coming, so don't interrupt"]

    Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked? [falling intonation, though often with an upward 'flick' at the end - but as Anglika said, in this context (a tongue twister) intonation tends to be pretty flat.]

    b
    What do you mean by upward flick at the end
    Would that be upward for ¨picked¨

  7. #7
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Peter Piper

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    What do you mean by upward flick at the end
    ...Would that be upward for ¨picked¨


    b

Similar Threads

  1. Pied Piper syndrome
    By Romel Panzer in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jan-2007, 12:14
  2. Pied Piper
    By Romel Panzer in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2006, 22:46
  3. "He who pays the piper ..."
    By mir12480 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-May-2005, 20:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •