Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: odd duck??

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 653
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Cool odd duck??

    Hi,

    On time.com it's written something like: "... Belgium has always been a bit of an odd duck."

    I know what "odd" means and I know what "duck" means. But what does "odd duck" mean?


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: odd duck??

    does it mean "strange person"? as many english idom always compare human to the animal.what context was this idom in?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,291
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: odd duck??

    To me, it just means that the writer thinks Belgium is a strange country. Is the article talking about the composition of the country?

  1. LwyrFirat's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: odd duck??

    May be more context would help teachers..

    Comprised of French and Flemish speakers who share little common culture, Belgium has always been a bit of an odd duck. Its viability as a nation has been regularly questioned since its founding in 1830, but perhaps never as much as in the last three months. Since national elections in June, the country's politicians have proved unable to form a national government, causing more and more Belgians to wonder whether the country can or should stay united.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 653
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: odd duck??

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    To me, it just means that the writer thinks Belgium is a strange country. Is the article talking about the composition of the country?
    Yes. on Time's site from yesterday.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 653
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: odd duck??

    Quote Originally Posted by xianshiyao View Post
    does it mean "strange person"? as many english idom always compare human to the animal.what context was this idom in?
    On Time's site from yesterday.

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: odd duck??

    In this case, Belgium is an "odd duck" because it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of its European neighbors. In France, the people speak French and have a distinct history/culture. Same with Germany. But Belgium is more of a "mixed bag" (with large populations of French, Flemish and German speakers).

    As for the idiom "an odd duck" - picture a mother duck leading her babies in a line. All of the ducklings are yellow and fuzzy, except for one who has brown fuzz. He is the "odd duck." Doesn't quite fit in with those around him.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 653
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: odd duck??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In this case, Belgium is an "odd duck" because it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of its European neighbors. In France, the people speak French and have a distinct history/culture. Same with Germany. But Belgium is more of a "mixed bag" (with large populations of French, Flemish and German speakers).

    As for the idiom "an odd duck" - picture a mother duck leading her babies in a line. All of the ducklings are yellow and fuzzy, except for one who has brown fuzz. He is the "odd duck." Doesn't quite fit in with those around him.
    I liked the example of the brown fuzz. Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. To duck the issue
    By Diandre in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2007, 14:43
  2. How would you define the future time?
    By shun in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2006, 01:20
  3. the word quack or ducks
    By Unregistered111 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2006, 13:58
  4. samim
    By wolayatkhan@yahoo.com in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-May-2005, 08:54
  5. Past / Present
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2005, 05:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •