• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default varied exercises

Dear teachers,

Among the answers which are in bold face which ones are incorrect and why? If more than one answer is correct, what is the difference between them?

I Fill each of the following blanks.

Miss Samantha Fox, the 20-year-old runaway student now reunited 1 with her family, said yesterday that she 2 could not face telling her parents that she 3 had been expelled from Swansea University.
    “I was just scared that everybody 4 would be disappointed,” she said. “The longer it went 5 on the harder it was. I really didn’t know what I 6 was going to do / was doing.”

Miss Fox was asked 7 to leave the university three months after failing 8 to attend lectures. But, 9 too / being / feeling ashamed to tell her family, she continued 10 living/to live in her rooms as if 11 nothing had happened.

The stress of keeping up the pretence finally showed last week, 12 when Miss Fox was supposed to return to Swansea after a short holiday 13 in/at the family home. 14 Instead / However (Is "instead" better than "however" because normally after "however" we should have a comma?) she went to London where she started to look for work.

Her anxious parents telephoned the police after university friend rang 15 saying/to say Samantha hadn’t turned up. A nation-wide appeal was launched.
    16 Having spent a week around north London, Miss Fox contacted her brother on Monday night and asked 17 to be taken home.

She 18 couldn’t clearly remember / couldn’t remember clearly (when should we put the adverb between the verb and the auxiliary and when should it come after the verb?) how she spent the last three months 19 since/after receiving the expulsion note. “It’s all a bit vague. Believe it or not, I 20 was still doing college work in my room, I hardly went 21 out at all.” She said she found the transition from home to university life very hard: “At school I was a model student.” She said she had not received 22 any counselling from the university to help her 23 cope / to cope ? with the burden of work and the stress of being 24 away / far/ far away / faraway ? from home. (Somebody told me that only away is correct because in this context it is not a question of distance but a question of not being at home. Is this right?)

Her father was delighted (have) 25 to have his daughter home. “We love our daughter,” he said. “We would support and understand her 26 whatever / no matter what happened.”

II Stce Transformations: Same questions

1. She did not come to the party yesterday and she regrets it.
    She wishes she had come / could have come to the party (yesterday / the day before / nothing?).

2. I don’t like them at all. It is better if you do not go with them.
    I don’t like them at all so I would rather you did not go with them.
    I don’t like them at all so I advise you not to go with them. (possible ?)
    I don’t like them at all so I would prefer you did not go with them.

3. “Bring a sweater with you in case it gets cold at night.”
    a) She told me to bring / take a sweater with me in case it gets ? / got / should get cold at night
    b) She told me I should bring / I must bring (incorrect?) a sweater with me in case it gets ? / got / should get cold at night.
    c) She told me to bring / take a sweater with me for fear that it gets ? / got / should get cold at night.

4. “Have you got any free time next week?” Mandy asked.
    Mandy asked me if / whether I had got / I had ? any free time the following week.

5. “I’ll have to take out this tooth,” the dentist said.
    The dentist said that he will / would have to take out the tooth.
    The dentist said that I will / would have to have the tooth taken out. (causative)

6. “I’ll be arriving tomorrow morning,” Jamie said.
    Jamie said that he/she will / would be arriving the next / following morning.

III Combine the following sentences into one, using a relative pronoun. / 1 point

At my school, English is taught by two teachers. These two teachers are not native speakers.
    At my school, English is taught by two teachers, neither of whom is a native speaker.
    a) At my … two teachers (,) who are not native speakers. (correct? Is the comma necessary ?)
    b) At my … two teachers, both of whom are not native speakers. (correct?)

IV Pick out the relative clauses and label them.

That’s the reason why she crammed everything she needed into a tiny bag which would fit underneath her plane seat.

Where do the relative clauses stop?

1) [why (relative adverb) she crammed ... (up to)
    a) everything shed needed (?)]
    b) … a tiny bag (?)]
    c) the plane seat (?)] = defining relative clause.

Antecedent = the reason

2) a)[(underlying relative pronoun that) she needed (?)]
    b) [she needed ... tinay bag (?) ]
    c) [ she needed … the plane seat (?)]

= defining zero relative clause.

Antecedent = everything

3) [which (relative pronoun) would fit underneath her plane seat] = defining relative clause.

Antecedent = a tiny bag

V Turn the following sentences into the passive form.

1. I want you to complete this work on time.
    I want this work to be completed on time.
    This work should / ought to / must be completed on time.

2. Not so long ago people thought that one could catch AIDS just by shaking hands.
    Not so long ago, AIDS was thought to be caught just by shaking hands. (correct / incorrect?)

3. People felt that he was a bad influence.
    It was felt that he was a bad influence.
    He was felt to be a bad influence. (meaning?)
    He was felt to have been a bad influence. (incompatible with the initial stce?)

Thank you so much for your help.
    Hela

hela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as the initial message but with some clarifications:

Dear teachers,

Among the answers which are in bold face which ones are incorrect and why? If more than one answer is correct, what is the difference between them?

Miss Samantha Fox, the 20-year-old runaway student now reunited 1 with her family, said yesterday that she 2 could not face telling her parents that she 3 had been expelled from Swansea University.
    “I was just scared that everybody 4 would be disappointed,” she said. “The longer it went 5 on the harder it was. I really didn’t know what I 6 was going to do / was doing.”

Miss Fox was asked 7 to leave the university three months after failing 8 to attend lectures. But, 9 too / being / feeling ashamed to tell her family, she continued 10 living/to live in her rooms as if 11 nothing had happened.

The stress of keeping up the pretence finally showed last week, 12 when Miss Fox was supposed to return to Swansea after a short holiday 13 in/at the family home. 14 Instead / However (Is "instead" better than "however" because normally after "however" we should have a comma?) she went to London where she started to look for work.

Her anxious parents telephoned the police after university friend rang 15 saying/to say Samantha hadn’t turned up. A nation-wide appeal was launched.
    16 Having spent a week around north London, Miss Fox contacted her brother on Monday night and asked 17 to be taken home.

She 18 couldn’t clearly remember / couldn’t remember clearly (when should we put the adverb between the verb and the auxiliary and when should it come after the verb?) how she spent the last three months 19 since/after receiving the expulsion note. “It’s all a bit vague. Believe it or not, I 20 was still doing college work in my room, I hardly went 21 out at all.” She said she found the transition from home to university life very hard: “At school I was a model student.” She said she had not received 22 any counselling from the university to help her 23 cope / to cope ? with the burden of work and the stress of being 24 away / far/ far away / faraway ? from home. (Somebody told me that only away is correct because in this context it is not a question of distance but a question of not being at home. Is this right?)

Her father was delighted (have) 25 to have his daughter home. “We love our daughter,” he said. “We would support and understand her 26 whatever / no matter what happened.”

II Stce Transformations: Same questions

1. She did not come to the party yesterday and she regrets it.
    a) She wishes she had come to the party (yesterday / the day before / nothing?).
    b) She wihses she could have come to the party yesterday.

2. I don’t like them at all. It is better if you do not go with them.
    a) I don’t like them at all so I would rather you did not go with them.
    b) I don’t like them at all so I advise you not to go with them. (possible ?)
    c) I don’t like them at all so I would prefer you not go with them. (?)

3. “Bring a sweater with you in case it gets cold at night.”
    a) She told me to bring / take a sweater with me in case it gets ? / got / should get cold at night.

b) She told me I should bring / I must bring (different mng?) a sweater with me in case it gets ? / got / should get cold at night.

c) She told me to bring / take a sweater with me for fear that it gets ? / got / should get cold at night.

4. “Have you got any free time next week?” Mandy asked.
    Mandy asked me if / whether I had got / I had ? any free time the following week.

5. “I’ll have to take out this tooth,” the dentist said.
    a) The dentist said that he will / would have to take out the tooth.
    b) The dentist said that I will / would have to have the tooth taken out. (causative)

6. “I’ll be arriving tomorrow morning,” Jamie said.
    a) Jamie sait that she would be arriving the following/next morning.
    b) Jamie said that he/she will be arriving tomorrow morning.

III Combine the following sentence into one, using a relative pronoun.

At my school, English is taught by two teachers. These two teachers are not native speakers.

a) At my school, English is taught by two teachers, neither of whom is a native speaker.

b) At my … two teachers (,) who are not native speakers. (correct? Is the comma necessary ?)

c) At my … two teachers, both of whom are not native speakers. (correct? Can we use "both" with negative?)

Are the last 2 stces compatible with the initial one?

IV Pick out the relative clauses and label them.

That’s the reason why she crammed everything she needed into a tiny bag which would fit underneath her plane seat.

Where do the relative clauses stop?

1) [why (relative adverb) she crammed ... (up to)
    a) everything shed needed (?)]
    b) … a tiny bag (?)]
    c) the plane seat (?)] = defining relative clause.

Antecedent = the reason

2) a)[(underlying relative pronoun that) she needed (?)]
    b) [she needed ... tinay bag (?) ]
    c) [ she needed … the plane seat (?)]

= defining zero relative clause.

Antecedent = everything

3) [which (relative pronoun) would fit underneath her plane seat] = defining relative clause.

Antecedent = a tiny bag

V Turn the following sentences into the passive form.

1. I want you to complete this work on time.
    a) I want this work to be completed on time.
    b) This work should / ought to / must be completed on time.

2. Not so long ago people thought that one could catch AIDS just by shaking hands.

a) Not so long ago, it was thought that AIDS could be caught just by shaking hands.
    b) Not so long ago, AIDS was thought to be caught just by shaking hands. (correct / incorrect?)

3. People felt that he was a bad influence.
    a) It was felt that he was a bad influence.
    b) He was felt to be a bad influence. (meaning?)
    c) He was felt to have been a bad influence. (incompatible with the initial stce?)

Thank you so much for your help.
    Hela

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

What I was going to do = after that point in time.
    What I was doing = at that point in time

Of the two, the first sounds more likely.

I'm afraid it's very late here and I'm exhausted- I'll contue in the morning.