• Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'd like to be a good writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleur de mort View Post
    I can't stop thinking of men. I relly need to write for them.

Why God create you men?

When I first met you, you weren't so interested in writing correct English. You're a different person now! I'm impressed! Keep it up!

Since you like writing for men - or about men, Harlequin and Gothic fiction suits you nicely - don't you think so? (Even if the romance novel is said to be literature for women...) Dark or sensual erotic romance, paranormal romance with vampires and ghosts... I'm sure you would make a fine writer if you'd try your hand at any of these - don't forget to include the spider-woman!

Fleur de mort Guest

Yes when I first came here, I was very poor in all of English skills. Writing, reading(I still poor in it), grammatical mistakes and a lot of difficulty in fact. I was didn't know how to find a difference between V and N lol. But now I feel I'm much better. And I need more.
    I can't reply to you as the same way ''forgive me Bianca'' I'm intermediate in English levels. Hope to be like you one day.

hehe when I read my old topics in this forum I really laugh at my self. I'll never delete it. It has been very nice memories.
    Bianca I really appreciate your advices.
    I'm so glad.
    Last edited by Fleur de mort; 17-Sep-2007 at 06:02.

Fleur de mort Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Exactly: read and read and read, and then read. Read different kinds of prose and poetry. And most notably, learn English. Without this your writing won't be clear and comprehensible. Learn grammar. Learn style. Learn various constructions; believe me, English is very rich in various sentence constructions that make your writing flow. Use long sentences and short sentences, use commas and semicolons and dashes; your writing must be fluent and rich - otherwise the reader will fall asleep after reading ten lines (if gets through them whatsoever!). Every word, phrase, sentence and paragraph is important. If incomprehensible and boring, even writing with passion will not find audience.

Read reference books on how to write. And practice: write and write and write, and then write. Writing is a beautiful thing and I am happy you want to learn it. But first of all it's really difficult, especially for those for whom the language they wish to write is not a native language (like for me).

Note that I am not evaluating your piece, but giving you my advices. I am not a good writer, but am working very hard on it. First of all I am focusing on English, because without the very deep knowledge of the language writing has no chance to become good, not to mention - excellent.

Another thing is, always remember that people vary and their tastes vary. Some will say your piece is excellent whereas others will say it's a piece of rubbish. Note that even very good books find their fans and foes. Always mull over both kinds of opinions and try to conclude from them on your writing.

And always - ALWAYS - be as critical for yourself as possible: this is very, very difficult, but this is a key to exclude all flaws from your own piece that you're able to find. To do it, revise, revise, revise, and then revise your piece. Revise even short posts of yours on this forum: read them three or five times and look for mistakes.

I loved Bianca's comments. And by the way, look how Bianca writes her posts - her writing has this great flow that makes even reading three lines of her post give pleasure.

All the best,
    Nyggus

[Neither a teacher nor a NES]
    Thank you. It's really hard to do all of things that you wrote.
    I'm desperate.

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. It's really hard to do all of things that you wrote.
    I'm desperate.
    Writing is a difficult skill and it requires a lot of effort to learn. If you're desperate, do it: learn how to write. And that's all. You need to pay attention to every aspect of the language you are writing in. Have you tried to write in your native language? If so, note that this is not easy either. Why, then, writing in a foreign language should be easy?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Good luck!

Nyggus

Fleur de mort Guest

Have you tried to write in your native language?
    And I have a appreciation degree.

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

And I have a appreciation degree.
    So you should know what I am talking about. In your native language many things come naturally, which is not the case with a foreign language, so you have to pay attention to everything, starting from spelling and grammar and ending on all those aspects that make writing good, including style and what was recently called on this forum the climate of writing. (Of course this may not be the case if your knowledge of the language is very deep and proficient; then writing may come naturally, but I do believe this may happen only in case of people with huge talent to languages and very good writers, working very hard.)

Fleur de mort Guest

Yes sir I'll do.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How to write a story? I don't want to use ''he said she said'' more than one hundred times.

What is your advices?
    I wrote this story(it's not complete)
    but I'd like to know is it a good idea to write as this way?

First, note that advice is not a count noun. I can give you some advice, but I can't give you some advices. (This one often comes up on this forum. I must have said the same thing about advice at least a dozen times.)

Say:
    I'd like to know if it is a good idea to write this way.

Fleur de mort Guest

Advice= Noun
    Advise= Verb
    Sorry it's just a mistake of typing
    I'd like to know if it is a good idea to write this way.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had to make quite a few changes to the text. (I'll let you figure out why I made those changes. ) (Note: my native language is American English.)

It was a cold December night. Some children playing on the street. I usually allergic to the cold weather, cup of tea and sad music. I can glance some little girls who dance by their hair. Shortly, I smelt cigarette fume. I felt some steps walking behind me. I've always feared of men. The steps kept its walking. I held my cup of tea strongly and covered my face by my hair. I've not worn veil. Only decent clothes with a heavy scarf. suddenly, some one came to me and whispered slowly: it's cold today. I still sit as nothing happened. This voice is so velvet and cottony. He sat opposite to me. Oh are you sure you are a real human!? ''I asked myself''. I didn't mind how much he was handsome. I run away of him. I quickly got home. I lay back on my bed.
    It was a cold December night. Some children playing in the street. I am usually allergic to the cold weather, and I sat there with a cup of tea as I listened to some sad music. I could see some little girls dancing in the street.

I smelled cigarette smoke. I heard footsteps behind me. I have always feared men, and I thought it was a man approaching. The footsteps kept getting closer.

I held my cup of tea tightly and covered my face with my hair. I was not wearing a veil--only decent clothes with a heavy scarf. Suddenly, someone came up to me and whispered slowly: "It's cold today." I sat still as if nothing had happened. The voice was velvety and cottony--soft and smooth. He sat opposite me. "Oh are you sure you are a real human?" 'I asked myself'. I didn't care that he was handsome. I ran away from him. I quickly ran home. I lay back on my bed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast