Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Alina_17 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile what do you think?

Greater freedom does not necessarily lead to brighter hapiness.I need to make a project with this subject. Can you give your opinion, please? thak you :)

CHOMAT is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what do you think?

You should first pay attention to the two symetrical parts of the subject and the central link joining them.( greater -brighter // freedom/ happiness)
    Define the ambivalence of the word freedom ( man without any constraint versus to abide the law of reason ( Kant)
    try to find out what the presupposed thesis is freedom is akin to happiness,which could be the starting point of your development
    Try to define and develop what is meant by greater freedom , the philosophical idea hidden . the two comparative forms greater brighter entail the notion of progress ( Man is working towards MORE X cf Hegel or COMTE dialectics and positivism..)
    afterwards tackle the linking part necessarily lead to; I suppose you've noticed the significance of the adverb here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your answer.
    I like very much your poin of view. Is a very systematical way to make my project.
    But the problem is that I have to sustaine this project in front of the class just in 10 minutes. So I have to give few arguments regarding the validity of the subject.

P.S I want to apologize if I have writting or gramar errors but I'm from Romania and I'm studying English at school. (for English is this subject)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't apologize for the errors . I do many. and I'm on this site to learn too.

As far as your subject is concerned, provided that the time devoted tothe expose is pretty short I advise you to present the very gist of the problematic without much developing the parts.It will look like an introduction, I suppose
    definitions and questions that stem from the structure of the quotation.

I know this is a hard job to present a philosophical theme in 1O minutes. Your ability to synthetize may constitute the aim of the exercice.

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As Alain said terms like freedom and democracy are ambivalent. They look only positive on the open surface but an overdose can even lead to utter chaos and hostility. Your freedom ends there where other people's freedom starts. There might be a conflict between your freedom/democracy and other people's. There are social and ethical constraints we have to abide by. For example freedom can mean you want to go outside naked or turn up the volume of your radio/TV at midnight. So don't forget:
    1. ethics
    2. conflict of interests

The point is we don't live alone. We live in a society full of different kinds of individuals. This makes it interesting but at the same time limits our own freedom.

As far as mistakes are concerned Alain you don't do an error/mistake you make it. But you can do sth in error, fix or allow an error. I am sure that was a slip of the hand.
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 22-Sep-2007 at 12:41.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

That's right, this mistake exemplies the fact that I'm learning and that I make errors. Don't I ?Nothing to do with a slip of the hand but I 'd deserve some slap on the hind.
    Thank you Doc.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you taken into account the existence of too terms : freedom and liberty?
    Some American Father or was it a president claimed: [I]Freedom is a light[/I It is also carved in some monument of Philadelphia .

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

erratum :two terms I need more freedom to enlight my unhappy spelling

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHOMAT View Post
    Have you taken into account the existence of too terms : freedom and liberty?
    Some American Father or was it a president claimed: [I]Freedom is a light[/I It is also carved in some monument of Philadelphia .
    One is Germanic and the other is Romance with of course difference in meaning. It is one of those borrowings which made English rich and a man like Shakespeare possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHOMAT
    [I]Have you taken into account the existence of too terms : freedom and liberty?
    Some American Father or was it a president claimed: Freedom is a light[/I It is also carved in some monument of Philadelphia .

One is Germanic and the other is Romance with of course difference in meaning. It is one of those borrowings which made English rich and a man like Shakespeare possible.

What I don't understand is who said "Freedom is a light"? And what does really mean? I would be very interested. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast