Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I know, I was just continuing the list for fun:-D. Thank you for the extremely useful document!:up:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here in Maine, USA, there's a big distinction made between so-called natives and people "from away," also known as flatlanders, even if they're from Colorado or Nepal.

It's not enough to be born here. You're not a Mainer unless you were conceived here. There's a saying: Just 'cause the cat had her kittens in the oven, that don't make 'em biscuits."

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've got it right too.

But it sounds somewhat humorous. Is it really okay to use such kind of idiom? :?:

It is humourous in a mild way but rarely would you say it directly to the person who is pregnant. The only time that might be acceptable would be if you were a very good friend of the person and were pretty sure she was pregnant, but you have not been told. Even then that is a risky thing to do. If she is not pregnant and her changing figure is just a weight gain, this would be offensive to her.

It is more often used between conversations with others about someone who may be pregnant.

I have seen some couples using a picture of a bun in an oven, to announce their pregnancy to their friends and relatives. It would be a funny way to make the announcement.

Milania

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
England
Question please. Can you also use the expression to mean that you've got some good news to share?

Milania

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
England

Okay. Thanks for clarifying, someone had told me it was possible that it could be related to good news. I guess they were wrong

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's only related to good news in the sense that most people consider that finding out that someone is pregnant is good news. However, the phrase can still be used even if the news of the pregnancy is a disaster!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I particularly like the French expression, 'Un polichinelle dans le tiroir' (a marionette in the drawer);-)

moodybuddie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To be pregnant. It's informal though, so be careful when you use it.

edwardwilson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is new to me, I never heard it before but i got it now!

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Up the duff" is in some way linked to that phrase too. Don't ask me how. Something to do with duff pudding, which I've never even heard of.

Never heard "up the club/duff" in the U.S.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I agree. Duff pudding is likewise unknown in North America, with one small exception. In Newfoundland there is a popular dessert called figgy duff. I gather it is like bread pudding with raisins.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You will hear up the duff in the UK, but I am more familiar with in the club than up the club there.

kpawan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I never heard this before but This idiom is good. Moreover, This is my first day here and I start learning new idioms. This is really great!

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Duff" is simply another name for a boiled or steamed pudding. Traditionally boiled in a muslin or cheesecloth bag it would be round; I think the imagery should be obvious.

A range of BrE expressions seem to relate to each other through cookery:

Up the duff.
In the pudding club.
In the club.
Has a bun in the oven.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I couldn't vote because I could only pick one. In American English, pregnant and in trouble often mean the same thing.

Here in the US state of Maine, people whose roots here go back many generation often look down on newcomers. Just being born here isn't enough. You can only be a Mainer if you were conceived here.

They explain it with this saying: Just because a kitten's in the oven, that don't make it a biscuit.

(I know it's not grammatical. Mainers often aren't.)

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I couldn't vote because I could only pick one. In American English, pregnant and in trouble often mean the same thing.
It is just the same in British English.

Modern clothing has caused a lot of more poetic expressions to become redundant, such as her apron strings would not tie.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is just the same in British English.

Modern clothing has caused a lot of more poetic expressions to become redundant, such as her apron strings would not tie.

That's a nice one, though old-fashioned.