sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default explanation please..

Hi dear friends and teachers,
    I have some questions, so I need help please:
    1) I read this sentense in an article: "Dictionaries should show how words are acctually used, in appropriate contexts, in typical grammatical structures, and with words that are normally associated with the words defined." please can u give me examples about those three diffrent kinds of uses of a word especcially the last use?
    I'm thanking you so much for your help.

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: explanation please..

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Hi dear friends and teachers,
    I have some questions, so I need help please:
    1) I read this sentense in an article: "Dictionaries should show how words are acctually used, in appropriate contexts, in typical grammatical structures, and with words that are normally associated with the words defined." please can u give me examples about those three diffrent kinds of uses of a word especcially the last use?
    I'm thanking you so much for your help.
    ..Users need to have both the explanation of the word's meaning and examples of the word in use to reinforce the meaning, not reformulate the definition. Dictionaries should show how words are actually used, in appropriate contexts, in typical grammatical structures, and with words that are normally associated with the words defined...
    I understand that your sentence has been taken out from Dictionary.com.

Let`s take the word comprehensive:
    [B]

1. Meaning [ among others] : of large scope; covering or involving much; inclusive: a comprehensive study of world affairs.-appropriate context

2.Function: adjective
    : covering completely or broadly <a comprehensive insurance policy> -grammatical structure [=adjective]

3. a comprehensive study - the word comprehensive is associated with the words defined : a study having a large scope or covering much

However, my example involves more than I have tried to demonstrate or explain to you.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: explanation please..

Additionally,
    in appropriate contexts: examples of how it's used in a sentence. You can't just give a definition; words aren't islands. They are a part of a bigger whole, the sentence they sit in. The words around it can alter its meaning. That's why an example sentence, "an appropriate context", is important.
    in typical grammatical structures: examples of how it's used as an adjective, a noun, a verb, an idiom,and so on. A word can have more than one function. To be able to understand how to use a word properly, you need to know its different forms.
    with words that are normally associated with the words defined: examples of its synonyms and antonyms. One of the best ways to learn vocabulary is word association. The more you know about a word, the better able you are to generate and build language that expresses what you want to say, not what you think you should say.