Post Thanks / Like

Question your methodology

When I interviewed for a teaching job overseas, I was asked about my methodology. The place where I work doesn't ask the teachers for it, and I never gave it much thought. I do explicit explanation of English grammar and some instruction on minimal pairs. Technically, you might call this "grammar translation" and audio-lingual methods (I have my students use Rosetta Stone and compare their pronunciation w/ that of native speakers).

The interviewer practically gagged when I mentioned my methods. The college that I interviewed for (Al Yomama College) is a believer in the "silent" method with students "discovering" rules for themselves. Yeah, right. No text, and no exams. Sounds like I dodged a bullet. BTW: they pay 34 -37K for MA in TESL but they pay 40-50K for math/computer sci.
    Does that sound fair to you?

eflclassroom is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: your methodology

Regarding the pay -- depends where in the world you are. Could be fair or could not be....

About methodology. At a job interview, part of it is knowing a) what kind of methods the school might espouse and then giving a reply which is diplomatic and thoughtful with this in mind. b) not being too specific, just vague enough, with the accent always on "student centered" and "structure". This is what most admins want to hear.

Me? I use task based learning but also whatever works for the students/setting. If the class is of a higher level, I really prefer CBI, content based instruction, learning through learning.....

Here's a good video run down of all the methods and recommend Richards and Rodgers Approaches and Methods in language teaching as a resource book.

Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching - A book review - EFL CLASSROOM 2.0#

David
    EFL CLASSROOM 2.0
    ddd.batcave.net - Home

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame that ESL teachers have to be evasive about their methods. I am trying to incorporate more speaking in my classroom, but it's so hard to get students to react to each other (in English, anyway). They always look to the teacher to have the answers. I want THEM to figure some things for themselves.

I guess I have to go to more conferences.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean! Though, this is a really big goal and has to be worked up towards -- getting students to take control of their own "will" to learn. But it can be done, don't give up!

I find a good place to start creating this culture is by
    1. communicating this desire, even if in L1
    2. personalizing the content to the student's lives/needs/wishes/desires/world
    3. production first and then go to instruction. Let them discover and muck about and create lessons that are top down, inductive....

So much more but just keep the goal out there. Conferences help but they have their own mantras to be weary of...find your own drummer.

DD

dean1981 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the educational and cultural context in that country, learners' characteristics in particular.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

With the pay, it depends on what you are teaching IMO. If you are teaching ESL to support learners studying other subjects in the college, then I would think it's fair as I'd regard that as being a teacher not a lecturer. However, if you were training or teacher future ESL teachers, then there should be parity as it's a full subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is your pride? Haven't you people completed graduate study in a university? Don't you think that YOU are entitled to fair compensation? Just because you teach English doesn't mean that you are willing to work for less. . .or are you?

Engineers and systems analysts are some of the dumbest DWEEBS on God's earth. . .I know, I've met them. Yet, they continue to be make thousands more than we do because there are jobs that they are not willing to take. Can the same be said for our profession? Just take a look at the UK teaching scandal.