Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Referring

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2003
    • Posts: 283
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Referring

    "The guesthouse is located at the hi-tech park, a nice and beautiful enviroment that never failed to attract any visitors."

    What does the "enviroment" refer? Is it guesthouse or the park?


    And there are other cases when confusion is involved for the reference.
    I can't name any of them but still welcome your comments and discussions.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Referring

    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    "The guesthouse is located at the hi-tech park, a nice and beautiful enviroment that never failed to attract any visitors."

    What does the "enviroment" refer? Is it guesthouse or the park?
    Environment means surroundings.

    It refers to the park where the guesthouse is located. This phrase "a nice and beautiful environment that never failed to attract any visitors." modifies park.

    Just for completeness I would also add that I would say "the guesthouse is located in the hi-tech park..."

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Referring

    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    "The guesthouse is located at the hi-tech park, a nice and beautiful enviroment that never failed to attract any visitors."

    What does the "enviroment" refer? Is it guesthouse or the park?


    And there are other cases when confusion is involved for the reference.
    I can't name any of them but still welcome your comments and discussions.
    It refers to the park, of course where the guesthouse is located.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Referring

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Environment means surroundings.

    It refers to the park where the guesthouse is located. This phrase "a nice and beautiful environment that never failed to attract any visitors." modifies park.

    Just for completeness I would also add that I would say "the guesthouse is located in the hi-tech park..."
    Also, the "any" makes this example sound very odd. Where did it come from?

    If something 'never failed to attract visitors' it's attractive. If it 'never failed to attract any visitors', the phrase implies that most of the time it managed to attract at least a few visitors - and that the occasions when it attracted none were rare. The stress would be: 'never failed to attract any visitors'.

    b


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Referring

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Also, the "any" makes this example sound very odd. Where did it come from?

    If something 'never failed to attract visitors' it's attractive. If it 'never failed to attract any visitors', the phrase implies that most of the time it managed to attract at least a few visitors - and that the occasions when it attracted none were rare. The stress would be: 'never failed to attract any visitors'.

    b
    Yes I missed that...I think it should be "any visitor". "Any" is used with a singular noun. I think "has failed" is better than "failed" too.

    "The guesthouse is located in the hi-tech park, a nice and beautiful environment that has never failed to attract any visitor."

Similar Threads

  1. Referring to objects in plural form
    By starhu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-May-2007, 03:02
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2006, 04:54
  3. referring joyfulness
    By rajaganapathy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-May-2005, 15:42
  4. Limited Quantity
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2004, 10:36
  5. said vs. read referring to signs, letters, notes.
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-May-2004, 02:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •