Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    peter123 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

    enter university

    Hi native speakers,
    Is 'enter university' the same as 'enter a university'?
    What is the difference between 'with an article 'a'' and without an article 'a'?


  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: enter university

    Full context would help.

    To enter university is a general statement about going into tertiary education.

    "After completing secondary school, boys are being encouraged to enter university."

    To enter a university is a statement of intent to attend a centre of tertiary education.

    "She is due to enter a university at the start of next year, but has not decided which one."

Similar Threads

  1. enter and go to
    By peter123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2007, 20:16
  2. enter university
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2007, 14:53
  3. a model leaflet for university, please!
    By venerupis in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2007, 19:51
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2006, 07:27
  5. Please help with checking of my English in CV
    By Al Papou in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2005, 05:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts