English Major students
22-45 students (depending on the class)
#1. Separate the class in teams. (Do it yourself, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of time if you let the students do it by themselves).
#2. Select an assistant who will help you determine who raises his or her hand first in answering the question.
#3. Explain the rules:
- The teacher will read a riddle to the students.
- The students MUST raise their hand to answer a question. If the students shout the answer without raising their hand, they lose one point (This is tried, tested and true. Otherwise students will be shouting the answers all across the classroom).
- Depending on how many hints are given, the amount of point for a good answer varies. First, read the riddle (6 points), then write it on the board (5 points), then write how many letters there are (_ _ _ _) (4 points), then the first letter (F _ _ _) (3 points), then the second letter (F I _ _) (2 points) and so on. Do not go under 1 point for a good answer.
- Giving out a WRONG answer reduces the total of point by 1.
- Team totals may go under 0.
That's about it. I've tested this with my students and they loved it. This is for advanced students however.
This is the list of riddles. This is the result of hours on the net spent harvesting for interesting riddles. Enjoy!