Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Most of my lessons are custom made. I make everything myself from the ground up.

This might sound pretentious, but I think my lessons are interesting and so far, the students really enjoy what I've planned.

This is based on feedback from both my peers and the students.

I do spend a LOT of time preparing everything so that I provide something of quality to the students.

I would like to provide what I've done so far to the other teachers here, on this forum. This would be a gift of some sort for all the help I've received, and, in a way, it's long overdue.

I would rather not put them here, in this topic, as the topic would eventually disappear.

Is there anywhere on the website where I could put my things so that they're visible and easily accessible to all the teachers?

I think it would be really awesome if we how somehow shared our own ideas to the world. Make a database of some sort.

What do you think?

Here's the first lesson I'd like to share:

Riddle contest
Tested with: English Major students
Class size: 22-45 students (depending on the class)
Procedure:
#1. Separate the class in teams. (Do it yourself, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of time if you let the students do it by themselves).
#2. Select an assistant who will help you determine who raises his or her hand first in answering the question.
#3. Explain the rules:
  1. The teacher will read a riddle to the students.
  2. The students MUST raise their hand to answer a question. If the students shout the answer without raising their hand, they lose one point (This is tried, tested and true. Otherwise students will be shouting the answers all across the classroom).
  3. Depending on how many hints are given, the amount of point for a good answer varies. First, read the riddle (6 points), then write it on the board (5 points), then write how many letters there are (_ _ _ _) (4 points), then the first letter (F _ _ _) (3 points), then the second letter (F I _ _) (2 points) and so on. Do not go under 1 point for a good answer.
  4. Giving out a WRONG answer reduces the total of point by 1.
  5. Team totals may go under 0.
That's about it. I've tested this with my students and they loved it. This is for advanced students however.

Resource:
This is the list of riddles. This is the result of hours on the net spent harvesting for interesting riddles. Enjoy!

Riddle contest.doc

(39 Kb)

Last edited by a moderator:

Noego

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
2nd lesson: The real princess.

Tested with: English major students
Class size: 22-45

Procedure:
#1. Print the following material.#2. Download the following fairy tale: ''The real princess''. This is an mp3 available from LibriVox.(You may find hundreds of FREE and LEGAL audio books over there, definitely worth your time).

I uploaded it for you HERE.

#3. Distribute one sheet to each student (student sheet). Print out the teacher sheet for yourself.

#4. Let the student listen to the short fairy tale three times and ask them to fill in the blanks.

#5. Give out the answers to the students (fill in the blanks)

#6. Give the students some time to complete the crossword.

This activity is suitable if you're especially tired one day as it doesn't require a lot of effort, teaching wise.

Some time may be spent to explain the new words of the first part.

Enjoy!

Noego

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
3rd lesson:

The idiom game

Procedure:
#1. Download the following document HERE (487 Kb). It contains a selection of idioms provided by this website:

GoEnglish.com Idioms = "Letting The Cat Out Of The Bag" = Today's English Idioms

#2. Download, if necessary, an explanation of each one of those idioms HERE. (38 Kb)

#3. Print the pictures of the idioms and stick the 8 sheets across the classroom. Write each idiom on the black board.

#4. Ask the students to match the correct idiom with the correct picture.

#5. Ask the students to guess the meaning of the idioms based on the picture and the idiom itself.

#6. Teach the idioms one by one.

More coming up soon. I hope other members will be so kind and generous as to their own activities with the rest of the forum.

syntactix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I didn't read the whole of 'real princess', but when I came to the point in the teacher -sheet, where it said 'it thundered and lightened', I thought I'd pose a 'quick' question. Was the expression 'thundered and lightened' meant to trip students up?

Noego

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
''The real Princess'' is fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen.

After browsing ''Librivox'' for hours, it was the only short one I could find where the reader had a clear, audible voice.

Was ''thundered and lightened'' meant to trip the students up? No, not really. It's more like a difficult part of a otherwise relatively accessible text.

It does provide a good opportunity to differentiate between verb and noun however.

I hope this answers your question.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Nice work, Noego!

Noego

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm glad if it can help some of you.

I just to say, however, this isn't my thread.

I mean the whole purpose of this thread is that we can all share our teaching plans together. :up:

Present them in a way which is simple for other teachers to use them.:)

Wouldn't it be awesome if we all shared what we've discovered/done, what we've tested in our classrooms and what turned out to be great material?:up:

I hope some of you, who are reading this, will participate in this little project!:):-D

ddeubel

Member Type
Academic
Great idea to share lesson plans.

I have been doing it for awhile and call it Lesson in a Can. Take a look.

I liked the lessons but really don't like teaching idioms unless they are the handful that are the most basic. For obvious reasons that it isn't the most efficient use of time because students won't retain them unless there is a very specific and concrete context.

But thanks, come join the conversation.

David

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
How about teaching idioms over the phone, do you guys have any idea or tip?

Gerrie

Member Type
English Teacher
thanks Noego, I got an idea on what I might do in my next presentation from your riddle contest.

Gerrie
Philippines

Most of my lessons are custom made. I make everything myself from the ground up.

This might sound pretentious, but I think my lessons are interesting and so far, the students really enjoy what I've planned.

This is based on feedback from both my peers and the students.

I do spend a LOT of time preparing everything so that I provide something of quality to the students.

I would like to provide what I've done so far to the other teachers here, on this forum. This would be a gift of some sort for all the help I've received, and, in a way, it's long overdue.

I would rather not put them here, in this topic, as the topic would eventually disappear.

Is there anywhere on the website where I could put my things so that they're visible and easily accessible to all the teachers?

I think it would be really awesome if we how somehow shared our own ideas to the world. Make a database of some sort.

What do you think?

Here's the first lesson I'd like to share:

Riddle contest
Tested with: English Major students
Class size: 22-45 students (depending on the class)
Procedure:
#1. Separate the class in teams. (Do it yourself, otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of time if you let the students do it by themselves).
#2. Select an assistant who will help you determine who raises his or her hand first in answering the question.
#3. Explain the rules:
  1. The teacher will read a riddle to the students.
  2. The students MUST raise their hand to answer a question. If the students shout the answer without raising their hand, they lose one point (This is tried, tested and true. Otherwise students will be shouting the answers all across the classroom).
  3. Depending on how many hints are given, the amount of point for a good answer varies. First, read the riddle (6 points), then write it on the board (5 points), then write how many letters there are (_ _ _ _) (4 points), then the first letter (F _ _ _) (3 points), then the second letter (F I _ _) (2 points) and so on. Do not go under 1 point for a good answer.
  4. Giving out a WRONG answer reduces the total of point by 1.
  5. Team totals may go under 0.
That's about it. I've tested this with my students and they loved it. This is for advanced students however.

Resource:
This is the list of riddles. This is the result of hours on the net spent harvesting for interesting riddles. Enjoy!

Riddle contest.doc

(39 Kb)

Noego

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Although I haven't posted for a while, don't worry, the files are still being downloaded!:)

The riddle contest has been downloaded 60 times, about 10% of the viewers have a downloaded which is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

DDeubel, thank you for sharing your thoughts and your website.

Hopefully you will also post some of your lessons here;-).

As always, I encourage the other teachers to share in their material.

oshieroo

Member Type
English Teacher
I just created a website called Oshieroo. I created specifically for English teachers from aruond the world to share, find, and discuss teaching ideas. I am currently in the JET program teaching English in Japan and wanted a way to share and find new ideas. Check it out. My username is cjmiyake.

Please come and share some of your own ideas! If you have any questions, contact me at feedback@oshieroo.com

ddeubel

Member Type
Academic
Here is a nice handy lesson idea that you can work into many kinds of activities.

Objective -- to know the country / nationality / languages of the world.

Materials - http://eflclassroom.com/flash/flags.swf computer and screen.

Warm up by showing one of the Where the hell is Matt videos from youtube. Stop the video just before the place name appears. Ask, "where the hell is matt? " Students continue to do Matt's dance and guess where the hell he is.

Practice - Students in groups, guess what country the flag represents . bonus for the nationality and official languages. One score keeper / group.
If you want to get indepth, play the BAAM version which I created to keep student interest. http://eflclassroom.com/pptgames/baamflags.ppt

Extend - Students are cards indicating where they are from in the world. Give multiple cards of 4-8 countries depending on the number of students.Students walk around the class asking, "Where you from?" If they find a person from the same country as themselves, they link arms and try to find someone else from their nation. Stop and review....

Great way to teach this stuff. Of course you can also show them Lily....
YouTube - The Original Video of Lilly: The World Map Master

ddeubel
EFL CLASSROOM 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.