• Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

help...

Hi,

Got some questions again. Pls help.

1) In the bar, one large black guy are working the stick and two waitresses are handling the booths and four-tops.

a) I don't understand what "working the stick" is. Playing billiard?
    b) What are the waitresses doing? what do booths and four-tops here mean?

2) A guy tells a waitress that he is in Insurance business. Her uncle sold insurance and he sure as hell didn’t decorate a bar stool like this one. Six-two, most of it leg, and a well-toned one-ninety, if she was any judge and Angie considered herself a damn good judge of her eye candy

It seems to me that her uncle is an insurance seller too and sounds like this guy is too handsome to be insurance seller. But what is the bolded sentence mean?

3) A girl looks at a sexy man and says "That’s the kind of long drink of water a woman wants to down in one big slurp"

what does it mean?

4) A man talks to the female twins "Ladies, you are a two-scoop treat for the eyes."

Does he mean they are alike, especially their eyes???

5) Tthe odds were she was in it up to her pretty neck and he always went with the odds.

What does it mean?

6) If he had to use her to get there, those were the breaks.

"get there" here is to get the big boss (or use her to reach for a very important secret, what do "the breaks" in this sentence mean?

7) She didn't look like the former wife – and suspected accomplice – of a career thief and con artist who’d not only gotten delusions of grandeur, but had somehow pulled it off.

what does the bold sentence mean?

That's it! Pls help. Tks.

:D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help...

1) Working the stick, means, to draw beer using a beer tap, which is a handle that looks like a stick.

2) Booths are tables enclosed partially with a bench seat, and four-tops are tables that have four chairs and seat four people.

3) Six-two in height, most of his height can be attributed to the length of his legs (he has long legs) and a well-toned (well built) one-ninety (upper-half of his body; I think??)

3) A man who looks like he could satisfy a woman's needs.

4) Double the pleasure

5) ??

6) The unpleasant things someone has to do to get what they want.

7) She thinks she is special, but she's not. She's just a normal person. She acts the part well, though. So well in fact that people believe she is special.

All the best,

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    5- I guess it means that most thought she ewas heavily involved in something bad, or in deep trouble, and he went along with that view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    5- I guess it means that most thought she ewas heavily involved in something bad, or in deep trouble, and he went along with that view.
    Hehe. You know, I thought it meant, she was an easy target. The "odds" being a pun on her gullibility and/or stupidity or that she was in some way naive?

Susie Smith Guest

Re: help...

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    1) Working the stick, means, to draw beer using a beer tap, which is a handle that looks like a stick.

2) Booths are tables enclosed partially with a bench seat, and four-tops are tables that have four chairs and seat four people.

3) Six-two in height, most of his height can be attributed to the length of his legs (he has long legs) and a well-toned (well built) one-ninety (upper-half of his body; I think??)

3) A man who looks like he could satisfy a woman's needs.

4) Double the pleasure

5) ??

6) The unpleasant things someone has to do to get what they want.

7) She thinks she is special, but she's not. She's just a normal person. She acts the part well, though. So well in fact that people believe she is special.

All the best,
    a well-toned one-ninety probably means 190 pounds of firm flesh and muscles

beeja is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody, these help me a lot!!!

Still got some more questions. Pls help.

Tks again.

beeja :D

1) In the toilet, she used lipstick, studies the tube.

What does the tube here mean? lipstick? why studies the lipstick?

2) what is the ka-boom moment?

3) It would be nice to grow up here. Small-town enough without being Mayberry, close enough to the city without being crowded.

what is being Mayberry?

4) There is the hint of pride in her voice, the contrast of the shadow in her eyes.

Pls explain.

5) My parents opened a little restaurant. A kind of working retirement. With work the main feature. And they’re giddy as kids about it.

Pls explain more.

6) what is a bourbon-on-the-rock voice?

7) She was neck-deep.

What does it mean?

8) Not that innocent parties were always straight with the cops.

Pls explain.

9) How could she have forgotten what a thrill it was to leap and look later?

Pls explain.

10) The recklessness felt good, a sexy fit.

What does it mean?

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I agree with your guess. :wink:

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Thanks everybody, these help me a lot!!!

Still got some more questions. Pls help.

Tks again.

beeja :D

1) In the toilet, she used lipstick, studies the tube.

What does the tube here mean? lipstick? why studies the lipstick?
    The tube refers to the lipstick container. I have no idea why she was "studying it". That means to examine it closely.

2) what is the ka-boom moment?
    "Ka-boom" is used to decribe an explosion. My guess is that this is the moment in which something exploded, actually or figuratively.

3) It would be nice to grow up here. Small-town enough without being Mayberry, close enough to the city without being crowded.

what is being Mayberry?
    "Mayberry" was a fictional very small town in the TV series "The Andy Griffith Show". It is saying that the place is smaller than a big city, but not as tiny as Mayberry.

4) There is the hint of pride in her voice, the contrast of the shadow in her eyes.

Pls explain.
    It seems to mean that her voice sounded a little proud, but her eyes didn't suggest pride.

5) My parents opened a little restaurant. A kind of working retirement. With work the main feature. And they’re giddy as kids about it.

Pls explain more.
    His parents were retired and opresumably somewhat old. They opened up a little restaurant to jkeep themselves busy and/or supplement their income. They are enjoying running the business.

6) what is a bourbon-on-the-rock voice?
    I would guess it is a deep, mellow voice -- like bourbon itself.

7) She was neck-deep.

What does it mean?
    It means that she was deeply involved in something, "up to her neck", so to speak.

8) Not that innocent parties were always straight with the cops.

Pls explain.
    Guilty people often lie to the police. This says that innocent parties sometimes lie to the polce as well. "To be straight" means to be honest.

9) How could she have forgotten what a thrill it was to leap and look later?

Pls explain.
    This is a reminder of the proverb "look before you leap". That means to be careful that you know what you are doing before you try something. The excitement increases when you leap first and then look later.

10) The recklessness felt good, a sexy fit.

What does it mean?
    My guess is that the "leaping without looking" in this case involved a sexual action/relationship. :wink: