Thread: Diagnostic test

M.Ivanova Guest

Question Diagnostic test

Hi,

My friend who went to study in England told me in an email is that she is going to have a Mathematics Diagnostic test and that she is worried about it. What does 'diagnostic test' mean, is it like a surprise test or a test that you don't study for?

Thanks a lot

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diagnostic test

It is a test to establish exactly what level of Mathematics the person has reached. It is not an examination that has to be passed. It is used to make sure the students have enough knowledge of Maths in order to follow a course.

Presumably she has applied to do a course somewhere that requires a particular level of Mathematics. Her best course of action is to make sure she is confident about her knowledge and not to worry about it.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diagnostic test

Quote Originally Posted by M.Ivanova View Post
    Hi,

My friend who went to study in England told me in an email is that she is going to have a Mathematics Diagnostic test and that she is worried about it. What does 'diagnostic test' mean, is it like a surprise test or a test that you don't study for?

Thanks a lot
    A diagnostic test is one that is designed to determine if there are any problems.

In the case of your friend, she might have to take this test for Mathematics in order to determine if her mathematical ability is high enough to be able to study the courses that she has elected to take.

It shouldn't be a surprise test, in fact there may be past tests available for her to get an idea of the type of questions asked. Perhaps if the test indicates areas of weakness there might be a course available to strengthen her ability in those areas.