Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    steph_333 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question phrasal verbs with "come"

    Could someone please help me doing this....

    The task says:
    Replace the phrases in italic in sentences a-h with a phrasal verb with come and a word from the list.

    "across" "along" "apart" "forward" "round(2x)" "up" "up with"

    a) The music of the seventies was not very interesting until punk arrived.
    b) When I picked up your CD case, it just fell to pieces in my hands.
    c) Let me know if you find by chance any old family photos while you’re tidying the cellar.
    d) When Nick recovered consciousness after the operation, he didn’t know where he was.
    e) It was obvious that I couldn’t carry the box myself, but nobody offered to help me.
    f) “I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to see you this evening,” said Jenny. "Something unexpected has just happened"
    g) “Why don’t you call at my flat for a drink on Thursday,” Karen suggested.
    h) Jeremy often thinks of ideas for solving problems at work.


    The more answers I get, the better it'd be....
    TIA
    Steph

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    Quote Originally Posted by steph_333 View Post
    Could someone please help me doing this....

    The task says:
    Replace the phrases in italic in sentences a-h with a phrasal verb with come and a word from the list.

    "across" "along" "apart" "forward" "round(2x)" "up" "up with"

    a) The music of the seventies was not very interesting until punk arrived.
    b) When I picked up your CD case, it just fell to pieces in my hands.
    c) Let me know if you find by chance any old family photos while you’re tidying the cellar.
    d) When Nick recovered consciousness after the operation, he didn’t know where he was.
    e) It was obvious that I couldn’t carry the box myself, but nobody offered to help me.
    f) “I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to see you this evening,” said Jenny. "Something unexpected has just happened"
    g) “Why don’t you call at my flat for a drink on Thursday,” Karen suggested.
    h) Jeremy often thinks of ideas for solving problems at work.


    The more answers I get, the better it'd be....
    TIA
    Steph
    An assignment? If so - you make the first suggestions; we can then advise.

    To start you off, the first one is "came up".

    And this site may give you a little guidance: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

  3. #3
    steph_333 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    no, not an assignment.....
    I just had a little "chat" (discussion) with one of my teachers about that...coz the students had sumething different to the teacher....
    n so I'd like to ask other ppl for their opinion....

  4. #4
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    Quote Originally Posted by steph_333 View Post
    no, not an assignment.....
    I just had a little "chat" (discussion) with one of my teachers about that...coz the students had sumething different to the teacher....
    n so I'd like to ask other ppl for their opinion....
    your teacher gave you this exercise to help you...if we do the exercise for you...it won't do what the teacher wanted.

  5. #5
    steph_333 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    i already did the exercise....
    here: that's what the teacher corrected....

    a) came along
    b) came apart
    c) come across
    d) came round
    e) came forward
    f) has come up
    g) come round
    h) comes up with

    n sum friends n I dont really agree with our teacher, so that's why we wanted your opinion....

  6. #6
    2006 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    Quote Originally Posted by steph_333 View Post
    no, not an assignment.....
    I just had a little "chat" (discussion) with one of my teachers about that...coz the students had sumething different to the teacher....
    n so I'd like to ask other ppl for their opinion....
    1...Excuse me, but I don't believe you.
    2...I, for one, would be more inclined to help you if you used proper spelling.
    3...In my opinion, the first one is 'came along'.
    4...I agree with your teacher.
    Last edited by 2006; 26-Sep-2007 at 17:57. Reason: #4

  7. #7
    steph_333 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    1...Excuse me, but I don't believe you.
    2...I, for one, would be more inclined to help you if you used proper spelling.
    3...In my opinion, the first one is 'came along'.
    4...I agree with your teacher.
    @1. What is it that you don't believe? That I discussed the thing with my teacher? That's what I do all the time, because I think that our teacher isn't that good at English.
    @2. Sorry for the spelling. I'm trying to use the "proper spelling"
    @3. I think it could either be came along or came up, So let's wait for other suggestions.
    @4. .....

  8. #8
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    Quote Originally Posted by steph_333 View Post
    @1. What is it that you don't believe? That I discussed the thing with my teacher? That's what I do all the time, because I think that our teacher isn't that good at English.
    @2. Sorry for the spelling. I'm trying to use the "proper spelling"
    @3. I think it could either be came along or came up, So let's wait for other suggestions.
    @4. .....
    I am not quite clear - the list of answers you provided earlier were the correct ones according to your teacher?

    If so, which ones do you and your friends not agree with and why not?

  9. #9
    steph_333 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    We (or at least some of us) don't agree on the first one.
    Some of us say it's came up, others think it's came along.
    But if it's came up, where should they use come along.....and so on....

  10. #10
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: phrasal verbs with "come"

    Ok - so it is really only #1 that is the problem.

    Despite what I said before, it can be argued that both "came up" and "came along" can be used in this sentence. "Came along" is in fact perfectly acceptable in this context and idiomatically good.

    As there would not be an alternative use for "come along" in the sentences provided - in this instance, I think you will have to accept the teacher's direction.

    I will be interested in other disagreements you have with your teacher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Idioms, phrasal verbs and meanings...
    By tangelatm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2006, 21:13
  2. Troubling phrasal verbs and idioms
    By tangelatm in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2006, 22:12
  3. Phrasal verbs...
    By tangelatm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Oct-2006, 21:34
  4. Phrasal Verbs Decoded
    By kvinchuca in forum English Phrasal Verbs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2005, 15:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk