Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Plz Help me to clarify these collocations

I am an English learning, I am studyng English language as a system and Collocations is a dfficult topic for me. I have been looking for it here and on the web, but I can not identify the correct collocations to rewrite the next paragraph, wich is a passage written in non-standard English, correcting these problems, which have been underlined.

A record digit of 54 teams will be competing in three sections as the Bryants Carpets Intermediate Snooker League reaches underway that week. One time again all three sections are possibly to be very nearly contested. In Section A, protecting champions Mariner Automatics, captained one time again by the most successful skipper in the league, John Stevens, will be the team to win.

The largest threat is possibly to come from Grimsby Snooker Club A, and P and J Builders who will have Steve Singleton at the wheel for the initial time

I can not think as a native speaker, however I have been thinking about next possibilities:

record digit --------------- record
    underway --------------- throughout
    one time --------------- once time
    are possibly to be ----------- available
    nearly ---------------- closely
    the team to win ------------- The winner team
    the initial time -------------- the first time

but I am not sure. Can you help me plz?. I appreciate your support in advanced.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plz Help me to clarify these collocations

Quote Originally Posted by misspatty View Post
    I am an English learning, I am studyng English language as a system and Collocations is a dfficult topic for me. I have been looking for it here and on the web, but I can not identify the correct collocations to rewrite the next paragraph, wich is a passage written in non-standard English, correcting these problems, which have been underlined.

A record digit of 54 teams will be competing in three sections as the Bryants Carpets Intermediate Snooker League reaches underway that week. One time again all three sections are possibly to be very nearly contested. In Section A, protecting champions Mariner Automatics, captained one time again by the most successful skipper in the league, John Stevens, will be the team to win.

The largest threat is possibly to come from Grimsby Snooker Club A, and P and J Builders who will have Steve Singleton at the wheel for the initial time

I can not think as a native speaker, however I have been thinking about next possibilities:

record digit --------------- record "a digit" is either a number or a finger - which will work here?
    underway --------------- throughout a collocation is "get under way" = starts
    one time --------------- once time The sentence is saying this is not the first time this has happened - it is happening again.
    are possibly to be ----------- available I think this can be a simple future statement.
    nearly ---------------- closely ok
    the team to win ------------- The winner team a team that is winning.
    the initial time -------------- the first time ok

but I am not sure. Can you help me plz?. I appreciate your support in advanced.
    nb - a team defends its title.

Generally someone who is in charge of something is at the helm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plz Help me to clarify these collocations

Are possibly to be........ are likly to be/will probably be