rakehell is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile exemplary construction technique principles

The phrase is from the safety regulations of a machine manual .The full text is as follows: During design and construction, the manufacturer has carefully considered the possible hazards and personal risks that may result from interaction with the machine. In addition to observing the specific laws in force, the manufacturer has adopted all “exemplary construction technique principles”. The purpose of this information is to advise the users to use extreme caution to avoid risks.

Could anybody please tell me what the "exemplary " means here? There are two different meanings in the dictionary :1.Serving as a model.2.Serving as a warning; admonitory. Which is suitable here?

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: exemplary construction technique principles

In this case, they mean definition 1. Exemplary as in the best possible, being a model for all others.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rakehell View Post
    The phrase is from the safety regulations of a machine manual .The full text is as follows: During design and construction, the manufacturer has carefully considered the possible hazards and personal risks that may result from interaction with the machine. In addition to observing the specific laws in force, the manufacturer has adopted all “exemplary construction technique principles”. The purpose of this information is to advise the users to use extreme caution to avoid risks.

Could anybody please tell me what the "exemplary " means here? There are two different meanings in the dictionary :1.Serving as a model.2.Serving as a warning; admonitory. Which is suitable here?
    In addition to observing the specific laws in force, the manufacturer has adopted all “exemplary construction technique principles"

Because of this line in the manual, I doubt very much that this piece of machinery comes from a country where the native language is English.

This is an extremely awkward sentence. Exemplary construction technique principles is supposed to mean that they are proud of the way the machine has been constructed.

This phrase is meaningless - observing the specific laws in force. What specific forces are they talking about??????

rakehell is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

to Naamplao:
    The machine manufacturer is from Italy,so it is reasonable to consider this manual is from Italian.

As for the phrase - observing the specific laws in force,my understanding for this is the machine is manufactured in accordance with the laws that are effective in contrary to those are outdated or abolished
    But I'm not very confident with it .

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, rakehell. It means the laws that were in effect at the time the machine was manufactured.

I believe that they are trying to say that they can't be responsible for being in comliance with rules that have yet to be passed, even though the machine might still be in use in a few years, if new standards or rules are passed.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I agree, rakehell. It means the laws that were in effect at the time the machine was manufactured.

I believe that they are trying to say that they can't be responsible for being in comliance with rules that have yet to be passed, even though the machine might still be in use in a few years, if new standards or rules are passed.
    Ahhhh....I read it differently....I thought it was a law like the law of Gravity not a legal law.

In addition to observing the specific laws in force, the manufacturer has adopted all “exemplary construction technique principles"

There are no "laws" that govern the manufacture of equipment. That is what led me astray. Rather equipment is manufactured to a certain "standard". For example it could be manufactured to an ISO9001 standard which would demonstrate that there is a high quality control process followed in the manufacture.

So the sentence could be rewritten

The machine is manufactured to ISO9001 standard.

That is all that is necessary because the standard is a highly respected standard of good manufacture.