rita2004 Guest

Default technical language

Does anybody know what a boomwhaker is? Itīs got something to do with drumming. Thatīs all know.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: technical language

Quote Originally Posted by rita2004
    Does anybody know what a boomwhaker is? Itīs got something to do with drumming. Thatīs all know.
    Click Here to see a picture of a boomwhaker :D

Quote Originally Posted by Science of Sound
    The students already know that vibration causes sound and it has been discovered by playing the classroom percussion and plucking strings on a dulcimer, etc. They also feel their throats when they talk and are silent to feel the vibration and lack of vibration. Okay, that's the background. Now to get them to discover the other characteristics of sound, each gets a boomwhacker and they're told to hit the boomwhacker on themselves and other nonbreakable things around the room and see what they can find out about sound (without any other hints from me). After a little while, they exchange a long boomwhacker for a short one and continue making sounds.

After a couple of minutes, they sit and I ask them what they have found out about sound. They easily discover that sound has volume and pitch. There's always at least one who discovers timbre from striking different objects around the room.

Source

rita2004 Guest

Dear Casiopeia, thank you very much for that profound explanation. The difficulty for me is to translate boomwhacker into German. At the moment I canīt find a word that would fit. I never came across that kind of sound-making instrument, i.e. I hardly can imagine how it sounds. Nevertheless I appreciate your detailed answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rita2004
    Dear Casiopeia, thank you very much for that profound explanation. The difficulty for me is to translate boomwhacker into German. At the moment I canīt find a word that would fit. I never came across that kind of sound-making instrument, i.e. I hardly can imagine how it sounds. Nevertheless I appreciate your detailed answer.
    My German is rusty. Hope the following info and sites help out. :D

boom! [interj.] -- bumm!
    to boom (music, voice) -- droehnen (Musik, Stimme)
    whack -- durchpruegeln
    whack -- verhauen

German-English/English-German online dictionary

When you whack (strike or hit forcefully) these booming (deep resonating sound) percussion tubes on or against anything handy (floor, wall, table), it's music to your ears.

The eight color-coded plastic tubes are perfectly tuned (by length) to make precise musical tones in the diatonic scale of C major. Easy and fun to play, there's no skill required, only skills to be discovered - like rhythm, creativity, eye-hand coordination, teamwork, and color and tone recognition.

Source

rita2004 Guest

Now I can imagine what boomwhackers are. Good idea, but as I told you, I never saw one. Maybe they exist in Germany, too. Iīll find it out. So far thanks again. By the way, I find this website really wonderful, fantastic :D and I shall drop in as often as I can.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like