1. Atesttaker

Thesis in an essay!

The thesis is the most significant statement in your essay. It consists of one sentence only
    and is usually the last sentence of your introduction. A thesis must be a complete
    sentence (unlike a title). It should also be narrow enough for you to be able to discuss it
    within the short time frame allowed on the TOEFL and within a two- or three-paragraph
    body. Yet it must also be general enough for you to be able to write two to three subpoints
    on this topic.For example, this is not a thesis: "Smoking in restaurants in New York is illegal." It
    merely states a fact, but provides no position or opinion regarding this fact.
    This is a thesis: "Not allowing smoking in restaurants in New York is highly unfair to the
    smoker and gives too much power to the nonsmoker."

I qouted the above paragraph so you can get a glimpse that what exactly thesis is.
    Here are some of topics to which i wrote thesis and I would be thankful if anyone suggests me a better

thesis or tell me where I am wrong.Before suggesting please also qoute that the purposed thesis is

false.

1. Topic/Question: If you had a choice, would you like to live forever? Explain why this
    does or does not appeal to you.
    Thesis:Living forever would be a terrible thing for me.

2. Topic: Students attend a university or college for a variety of reasons. In your opinion,
    what should be the main purpose of a university education?
    Thesis:The purpose of the education is to equip the student with professional attitude.

3. Topic: When many people think of the United States, words such as independent and
    free-spirited come to mind. If you had to describe your country by its personality, what
    trait(s) would best describe it?
    Thesis:My country is well known for its hospitality and kindness of its people.

4. Topic: Most people experience at least some degree of culture shock when they are
    getting accustomed to a new culture. What advice would you give to a friend of yours to
    help him get over culture shock? (You may write about your own culture or about the
    American culture.)
    Thesis:My friend should try to learn the essential values of the new culture and then implent them as

long as they do not contradict severly to his own culture.

5. Topic: It is necessary to be wealthy in order to be successful. Do you agree with this
    statement? Why or why not?
    Thesis:One can not achieve one's success in life without wealth.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    1&5 are a little vague- the general idea is OK, but they need a bit more. Why would living forever be so terriblt?

2. tachi
    thesis
    do we have to do that for the writing part on the new SAT?