Atesttaker Guest

Default Thesis in an essay!

The thesis is the most significant statement in your essay. It consists of one sentence only
    and is usually the last sentence of your introduction. A thesis must be a complete
    sentence (unlike a title). It should also be narrow enough for you to be able to discuss it
    within the short time frame allowed on the TOEFL and within a two- or three-paragraph
    body. Yet it must also be general enough for you to be able to write two to three subpoints
    on this topic.For example, this is not a thesis: "Smoking in restaurants in New York is illegal." It
    merely states a fact, but provides no position or opinion regarding this fact.
    This is a thesis: "Not allowing smoking in restaurants in New York is highly unfair to the
    smoker and gives too much power to the nonsmoker."

I qouted the above paragraph so you can get a glimpse that what exactly thesis is.
    Here are some of topics to which i wrote thesis and I would be thankful if anyone suggests me a better

thesis or tell me where I am wrong.Before suggesting please also qoute that the purposed thesis is

false.

1. Topic/Question: If you had a choice, would you like to live forever? Explain why this
    does or does not appeal to you.
    Thesis:Living forever would be a terrible thing for me.

2. Topic: Students attend a university or college for a variety of reasons. In your opinion,
    what should be the main purpose of a university education?
    Thesis:The purpose of the education is to equip the student with professional attitude.

3. Topic: When many people think of the United States, words such as independent and
    free-spirited come to mind. If you had to describe your country by its personality, what
    trait(s) would best describe it?
    Thesis:My country is well known for its hospitality and kindness of its people.

4. Topic: Most people experience at least some degree of culture shock when they are
    getting accustomed to a new culture. What advice would you give to a friend of yours to
    help him get over culture shock? (You may write about your own culture or about the
    American culture.)
    Thesis:My friend should try to learn the essential values of the new culture and then implent them as

long as they do not contradict severly to his own culture.

5. Topic: It is necessary to be wealthy in order to be successful. Do you agree with this
    statement? Why or why not?
    Thesis:One can not achieve one's success in life without wealth.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1&5 are a little vague- the general idea is OK, but they need a bit more. Why would living forever be so terriblt?

tachi Guest

thesis
    do we have to do that for the writing part on the new SAT?