Anonymous Guest

Default can we progress with out english?

can we progress with out english

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can we progress with out english?

Quote Originally Posted by basir khan
    Yes! The French have been doing it for centuries--in North America and Europe combined. :wink:

A.Russell is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a very general question. It is certainly advantageous to have members of the population who are fluent in English and another language for faciliting trade and international relations, but I do not think that it is neccessary for everyone to speak English.

Take a look at Japan. English levels are very low, however they still became an industrialised country.

So I would suggest that it is up to individuals to ask themselves that question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.Russell
    That is a very general question. It is certainly advantageous to have members of the population who are fluent in English and another language for faciliting trade and international relations, but I do not think that it is neccessary for everyone to speak English.

Take a look at Japan. English levels are very low, however they still became an industrialised country.

So I would suggest that it is up to individuals to ask themselves that question.
    Psst. Companies interested in gaining what Japan has to offer made it a point and are still making it a point to learn Japanese. :wink:

English as a tool for International communication, in Japan? Hmm. Japan does more business with China, Taiwan and other Asian countries, not to mention Eurpean countries that don't speak English as their first language than it does with English speaking countries. Translators make big bucks in Asian companies. 8)

Japanese goverment employees have to take an English exam in order to get hired, and yet, aside from those who study English on the side as a hobby, the majority of government employees are unable to converse in English because the resources ($) and opportunity are not available to them.

If a company (i.e. in Britian) wants to do business with a company in Japan), they make it a point of hiring employees who can converse in Japanese. That's just good business sense.

All the best,

A.Russell is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Psst. Companies interested in gaining what Japan has to offer made it a point and are still making it a point to learn Japanese. :wink:

English as a tool for International communication, in Japan? Hmm. Japan does more business with China, Taiwan and other Asian countries, not to mention Eurpean countries that don't speak English as their first language than it does with English speaking countries. Translators make big bucks in Asian companies. 8)

Japanese goverment employees have to take an English exam in order to get hired, and yet, aside from those who study English on the side as a hobby, the majority of government employees are unable to converse in English because the resources ($) and opportunity are not available to them.

If a company (i.e. in Britian) wants to do business with a company in Japan), they make it a point of hiring employees who can converse in Japanese. That's just good business sense.

All the best,
    True, they do often use English as a medium with other Asian countries, though. You could also add their English education system to their inability to speak English. Certainly, most Japanese can get by very comfortably never speaking a word of English.

And I see your point about the French ;)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! The French have been doing it for centuries--in North America and Europe combined. :wink:
    Hmmm. I don't know if those are great examples. <grins, ducks, and runs> :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

English among the general population is certainly not a requirement. It is the international language of aviation, banking, and a few other industries, however. English is a very popular second language in Europe and that trend is spreading to Asia.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacques Chirac was famously, and brilliantly, rude to Margaret Thatcher once, so he's got the English to do that.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Jacques Chirac was famously, and brilliantly, rude to Margaret Thatcher once, so he's got the English to do that.
    Rudeness is one of his better points.