Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sleep together/ with

Both meanings are similiar, referring to someone has sex with another person, especially someone you are not married to.

When I was a kid, my parents and I were under the same roof. I could remember that Mom, Dad and me share one bedroom. I have my own little bed. Does it make sense if I say to someone

"I used to sleep with mom and dad when I was young"

or

"My parents and me slept together when I was young."

Would it lead to any possible misunderstanding?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sleep together/ with

Hi,

Yes, you would be probably misunderstood if you said your sentences. It sounds as if you slept with them in the same bed, not necessarily having sex, though.

Here are some corrections of your sentences:

'....referring to someone having (not has) sex.....'

'I remember that my Mom, Dad, and I (not me) shared one bedroom.'

'I had my own little bed....or a crib perhaps? (a bed for babies).

'My parents and I (not me) slept together....'

Iza

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Both meanings are similiar, referring to someone has sex with another person, especially someone you are not married to.

When I was a kid, my parents and I were under the same roof. I could remember that Mom, Dad and me share one bedroom. I have my own little bed. Does it make sense if I say to someone

or

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you very much for thoughful correction.

And as you said, it could probably lead to misunderstanding. I believe there must be a proper way to describe my examples. Of course I do not want to sleep with my parents. H-OOOOO-rrible. Could you offer some more help with this?

[Scenario]
    Mom and Dad sleep in the same bed.
    I sleep in my own bed. (Since I wasn't a baby, it couldn't be a crib or cradle, my bed was just smaller than the normal one.) :)
    We sleep together in the same bedroom, but I don't have sex with Mom and Dad. :wink:

How can I use one sentence to combine the three ones?

Susie Smith Guest

And as you said, it could probably lead to misunderstanding. I believe there must be a proper way to describe my examples. Of course I do not want to sleep with my parents. H-OOOOO-rrible. Could you offer some more help with this?

[Scenario]
    I sleep in my own bed. (Since I wasn't a baby, it couldn't be a crib or cradle, my bed was just smaller than the normal one.) :)
    We sleep together in the same bedroom, but I don't have sex with Mom and Dad. :wink:

Something like this: When I was young, I shared a bedroom with Mom and Dad, but I slept in my own bed.

If you say: "I used to sleep with my parents when I was young", I am going to think exactly that - that you slept with them.

My little granddaughter often sleeps with her parents and I am not at all shocked when they talk about it. If I were not a widow, she would have slept with me and her grandpa too. Probably most of us slept with our parents on more than one occasion. I know all my boys did. ( Little kids seem to think it beats their own beds! ) In this context it would take a pretty dirty mind to imagine any kind of incestuous relationship.
    :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

Susie's sentence looks good to me, too.

[Scenario]

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sleep together/ with

or

With clues such as "parents" and "young", there should be no confusion. When confusion is possible, one can rephrase the sentence to "shared a bedroom with" or "slept in the same room as"or "shared the bed with" or "slept in the same bed with", as the case may be. Usually it is an imposition, so using "had to" will also clear up the possible sex problem.
    :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Susan, thanks for your vivid examples. (I was laughing out in the computer center and everyone gave me an unwelcome look. )

Mike, thanks as always. @->--

Iza, thank you very much indeed.

Your language is weeeeeird. Sleep itself is simply a resting state. When you add any preposition to it, it changes the whole meaning and makes it no longer a resting state in which the body is active and the mind is conscious. Now I know how slight influence the preposition is. :wink:

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Susan, thanks for your vivid examples. (I was laughing out in the computer center and everyone gave me an unwelcome look. )

Your language is weeeeeird. Sleep itself is simply a resting state. When you add any preposition to it, it changes the whole meaning and makes it no longer a resting state in which the body is active and the mind is conscious. Now I know how slight influence the preposition is. :wink:
    I think you meant to say that you now know how big a difference a preposition can make. Am I wrong?

:)

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, you are right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

I think you meant to say that you now know how big a difference a preposition can make. Am I wrong?

:)

May I ask a question here?
    When you ask "Am I wrong?" Were you presupposing that you were right? If you ask "Am I right", you might not be sure of something, and need other's confirmation.

Am I right? :wink:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast