Thread: Part of Speech

blueball_27 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Part of Speech

Hi,
    Here are some sentencses that I tried to sort their words into "part of speech"(nouns, adjctives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions and pronouns) because I'm studying that, tell me if there's something wrong and why?
    thanks

The sounds or the locomotive's whistle reminded me of my grandfather's home near the railroad.
    The sounds (n) of (prep) the locomotive's (n) whistle (n) reminded (v) me (pron) of(prep) my (pron) grandfather's(n) home(n) near(prep) the railroad(n).

The opportunity for outside work is one of the job's great attractions for her..
    The opportunity(n)for(prep) outside(prep) work(n) is(v) one(pron) of (pre) job 's(n) great(adj) attractions(n) for(prep) her(pron).

This year there has been an increase in students' interests in technical subjects
    This(pron) year(n) there(pron) has(v) been(v) an increase(v) in students'(n) interests(n) in(prep) technical(adj) subjects(n)

The presence of rare orchids in that swamp certainly increases its importance as a state park.
    The presence (n) of (prep) rare(adj) orchids(n) in(prep) that(pron) swamp(n) certainly(adv) increases(v) its(pron) importance(n) as a state(adj) park(n)

We will, at our earliest opportunity, examine the wiring for possible malfunctions.
    We(pron) will(v), at(prep) our(pron) earliest(adj) opportunity(n), examine(v) the wiring(n) for(prep) possible(adj) malfunctions(n).

There will never again be an investment opportunity like this one.
    There(pron) will(v) never(adv) again(adv) be(v) an investment(n) opportunity(n) like(prep) this(pron) one(n).

That was probably the last restaurant before the turnpike.
    That(pron) was(verb) probably(adv) the last(adj) restaurant(n) before(prep) the turnpike(n).

Down on the floor of the factory they are happy about the proposed pay raises
    Down(prep) on(prep) the floor(n) of(prep) the factory(n) they(pron) are(v) happy(adj) about(prep) the proposed(adj) pay(n) raises(n).

In the past month an influx of tourists has filled the local motels and resturants
    In(prep) the past(adj) month(n) an influx(n) of(prep) tourists(n) has(v) filled(v) the local(adj) motels(n) and restaurants.

With your help we will have finished the job before three o'clock.
    With(prep) your(pron) help(n) we(pron) will(v) have(v) finished(v) the job(n) before(prep) three(n) o'clock(n).
    Last edited by blueball_27; 04-Oct-2007 at 12:02.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Part of Speech

Good job! Here are some corrections:

locomotive's (poss. n)

grandfather's (poss. n)
    outside (adj)
    job 's (poss. n)

increase (n)
    in (prep)
    students' (poss. n)

investment (adj)

pay (adj)

finished (past participle)
    three (adj)

blueball_27 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Part of Speech

Thank you Soup, that helped me a lot.
    Just one more thing, is "investment" an adjective because it describes "opportunity" and it's between "an" and "opportunity"?