• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

at the restaurant!!

Hi, please read the following conversation.
    The answer is (B) as a woman's proper response.
    But how about (A)? (A) cannot be an answer?
    If the woman doesn't care about how eggs are done, isn't (A) fine?
    Please answer my question...

M: What would you like for your side order?
    W: Eggs and some chips please.
    M: How would you like your eggs to be done?
    W: __________________________________

(A) Anything will be fine.
    (B) Overeasy, please.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: at the restaurant!!

Quote Originally Posted by juliana0403 View Post
    Hi, please read the following conversation.
    The answer is (B) as a woman's proper response.
    But how about (A)? (A) cannot be an answer?
    If the woman doesn't care about how eggs are done, isn't (A) fine?
    Please answer my question...

M: What would you like for your side order?
    W: Eggs and some chips please.
    M: How would you like your eggs to be done?
    W: __________________________________

(A) Anything will be fine.
    (B) Overeasy, please.
    You are talking about a method of cooking, not what is being cooked.

As a result (B) Over easy, please. is correct.

If answer (A) was Anyway will be fine. Then it too would be a correct answer. or better yet Anyway would be fine

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally people are very particular about how they want their eggs. And if you tell a waiter "any way will be fine," he'll probably get exasperated, as it's not his job to choose. The cook is busy as well, and doesn't have time to be creative and choose a random egg dish.

The purpose of dining in a restaurant is to order food to your preferred specifications. That's why they'll ask "What type of salad dressing do you want?" or "Do you want fries, mashed potatoes, hash browns or baked potato?" It's up to the customer to express a preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Normally people are very particular about how they want their eggs. And if you tell a waiter "any way will be fine," he'll probably get exasperated, as it's not his job to choose. The cook is busy as well, and doesn't have time to be creative and choose a random egg dish.

The purpose of dining in a restaurant is to order food to your preferred specifications. That's why they'll ask "What type of salad dressing do you want?" or "Do you want fries, mashed potatoes, hash browns or baked potato?" It's up to the customer to express a preference.
    Hahaha....in general what you say is true, Ouisch.

But I was once a traveling industrial salesman/sales manager. I traveled about 2 weeks in 4 and ate in many restaurants. I have a wheat intolerance (not celiac, thankfully I can tolerate a little wheat in sauces) so I liked to go to Asian restaurants.

But after a while I found I was ordering the same thing over and over again and I had a client who felt the same way.

So we would order this way. "We would like 3 dishes and fried rice. We like spicy food but no octopus or squid." Then we would not say anything more to our waitress except to repeat our wishes.

We got some great meals this way, dishes that I would have never ordered ordinarily. It was a game with us and we were never disappointed. I am sure the chefs liked it too since they must be tired serving the same old thing over and over.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    But after a while I found I was ordering the same thing over and over again and I had a client who felt the same way.

So we would order this way. "We would like 3 dishes and fried rice. We like spicy food but no octopus or squid." Then we would not say anything more to our waitress except to repeat our wishes.

We got some great meals this way, dishes that I would have never ordered ordinarily. It was a game with us and we were never disappointed. I am sure the chefs liked it too since they must be tired serving the same old thing over and over.
    Sounds like you both had some good meals that way! I don't think I could ever be that adventurous. (A friend and I tried to order pizza in Germany once, when neither one of us spoke German, and ended up with hard boiled egg as one of our toppings. )

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you both had some good meals that way! I don't think I could ever be that adventurous. (A friend and I tried to order pizza in Germany once, when neither one of us spoke German, and ended up with hard boiled egg as one of our toppings. )
    Hahahaha....but that is the fun of it. I've had a few "hard Boiled" experiences in my time but then that was the game....who knows though a hard boiled egg on a pizza might have been the highlight of your gastronomic experience on that trip.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Hahahaha....but that is the fun of it. I've had a few "hard Boiled" experiences in my time but then that was the game....who knows though a hard boiled egg on a pizza might have been the highlight of your gastronomic experience on that trip.

Going way off topic here, but I must share my worst hard boiled gastronomic experience in Europe.... We'd dined in Brussels late the night before at a Greek restaurant. Took a train early the next morning to Cologne, Germany. About 30 minutes before we arrived in Cologne, Mr. Bowel Voice was giving me urgent warnings. There was a line waiting to use the restroom on the train, so I summoned up all my strength and decided to wait until we reached the station.

I abandoned my bags on the platform with my friend, shouting "I'll be right back!" as I sprinted for the station. Found the bathrooms on the lower floor. Discover that they're pay toilets (something we don't have in the US anymore, civil rights violations and all that), and all I have is Belgian money! I managed to find intestinal fortitude I didn't know I had and ran all the way up to the third floor to the currency exchange, and then back down to the restrooms (and not a moment too soon). I can look back at this and laugh now, but at the time, finding hard boiled egg on my pizza the very next night was just one more kick in the gut.

Post Thanks / Like

Going way off topic here, but I must share my worst hard boiled gastronomic experience in Europe.... We'd dined in Brussels late the night before at a Greek restaurant. Took a train early the next morning to Cologne, Germany. About 30 minutes before we arrived in Cologne, Mr. Bowel Voice was giving me urgent warnings. There was a line waiting to use the restroom on the train, so I summoned up all my strength and decided to wait until we reached the station.

I abandoned my bags on the platform with my friend, shouting "I'll be right back!" as I sprinted for the station. Found the bathrooms on the lower floor. Discover that they're pay toilets (something we don't have in the US anymore, civil rights violations and all that), and all I have is Belgian money! I managed to find intestinal fortitude I didn't know I had and ran all the way up to the third floor to the currency exchange, and then back down to the restrooms (and not a moment too soon). I can look back at this and laugh now, but at the time, finding hard boiled egg on my pizza the very next night was just one more kick in the gut.
    Loved it...I just returned from a 5 week trip to France. If I never see another "frite" again for a while I will be happy.