• Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the standard form of English

Does such a thing as standard English exist any where in the English-speaking world? Is it worth while learning it? Is BBC pronunciation the perfect form of pronunciation? Is there any standard American English,Canadian English, South African English,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? Isn't it parochial to think that the variety of English spoken in and around London is the standard form of British English?

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the standard form of English

Quote Originally Posted by balakrishnanijk View Post
    Does such a thing as standard English exist any where in the English-speaking world? Is it worth while learning it? Is BBC pronunciation the perfect form of pronunciation? Is there any standard American English,Canadian English, South African English,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? Isn't it parochial to think that the variety of English spoken in and around London is the standard form of British English?
    Nope...there is no standard form of English. Of course it started in Britain and spread around the world. The rules of all forms of English are basically the same so if you study one form (American or British are the most common) then you will be understood everywhere. Canadian English is a mixture of American and British English. I am not sure about Australian, South African or Indian English but I would imagine these to be British-like.

All forms of English have similar basic rules (though British English and American English certainly has different pronunciation in many areas) but the wheels fall off when it comes to idioms. Each form of English has slang and idiomatic terms that can be unique to that country.

Which one do you learn? It depends on which part of the world that you live in.

balakrishnanijk is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Kerala, which is part of India. Since our country was a colony of England, the variety of English used here resembles British English. But that is not entirely true. It has a lot of peculiarities of its own.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by balakrishnanijk View Post
    I live in Kerala, which is part of India. Since our country was a colony of England, the variety of English used here resembles British English. But that is not entirely true. It has a lot of peculiarities of its own.
    I live in Canada so I understand...we have our differences too. In your part of the world I think British English would be common for business purposes.

spenser is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the following link:

Three Views of Standard English