Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile let alone/not to mention

    He can't read, let alone/not to mention write.
    We can't afford a car, not to mention/let alone the fact that we have no garage.
    He has a big house and an expensive car, let alone/not to mention a villa in France.


    Is let alone interchangeable and synonymous with not to mention in all contexts? Thanks.
    Last edited by angliholic; 06-Oct-2007 at 16:05.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: let alone/not to mention

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    He can't read, let alone/not to mention write.
    We can't afford a car, not to mention/let alone the fact that we have no garage.
    He has a big house and an expensive car, let alone/a villa in France.


    Is let alone interchangeable and synonymous with not to mention in all contexts? Thanks.
    He can't read, let alone write.

    We can't afford a car, not to mention the fact that we have no garage.

    He has a big house and an expensive car, not to mention
    a villa in France.

    I cannot explain why but these sound better to me. It seems that you use "let alone" if it is followed by a verb and "not to mention" if followed by a noun. That may be coincidence though.

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Smile Re: let alone/not to mention

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    He can't read, let alone write.

    We can't afford a car, not to mention the fact that we have no garage.

    He has a big house and an expensive car, not to mention a villa in France.

    I cannot explain why but these sound better to me. It seems that you use "let alone" if it is followed by a verb and "not to mention" if followed by a noun. That may be coincidence though.
    Thanks, Naamplao, for the correct choice and reply.
    I checked up on the samples in my dictionary again to make sure if they match what you describe. Yeah, you can that again in most cases, but there are some exceptions. For example,

    There isn't enough room for us, let alone/not to mention six dogs and a cat.

    Which will you use in the above context? Sorry! I'll give you the answer later to see if this goes well with your English instinct--I mean every native speaker of course.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: let alone/not to mention

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Naamplao, for the correct choice and reply.
    I checked up on the samples in my dictionary again to make sure if they match what you describe. Yeah, you can that again in most cases, but there are some exceptions. For example,

    There isn't enough room for us, let alone/not to mention six dogs and a cat.

    Which will you use in the above context? Sorry! I'll give you the answer later to see if this goes well with your English instinct--I mean every native speaker of course.
    There isn't enough room for us, let alone six dogs and a cat.

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: let alone/not to mention

    Thanks, Naamplao, for the correct gut feeling.

    But could you write down the rules of this usage?


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,155
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: let alone/not to mention

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Naamplao, for the correct gut feeling.

    But could you write down the rules of this usage?
    Sorry...I cannot come up with a rule...my first guess at a rule fell apart with this last example. All I can say is one way sounds better than the other...and I know this is not a good explanation for you.

  4. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: let alone/not to mention

    Thanks, Naamplao.
    Maybe someone will come up with a sensible and reasonable rule later on.

Similar Threads

  1. Mention About
    By spenser in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2007, 01:31
  2. Don't mention it!!!!
    By Veron1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2007, 21:35
  3. Don't mention it.
    By blacknomi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2005, 21:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •