Blue Bird is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you use any techno tools or software when teaching a language?

Hi teachers,

Well, I would like to know what type of softwares or tools do you use in the class room? do you use technology to support your teaching and make it more effective? or you don't and why?

I would love to hear from you, and Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you use any techno tools or software when teaching a language?

Do you mean only in the classroom or as part of the course? For instance, I often record feedback for writing as MP3s.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes,
    In the classroom when you teach students a language.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you evaluate that the use of technology has made learning more effective?

Post Thanks / Like

Well,
    from reading articles about the use of technology in teaching a language and how the educational goals are achieved through using it.

I think students will be more motivated when they use computers in the classroom, I know I'll be motivated, too. Further, using the net for improving the language level is effective. It builds their self-esteem and their thinking skills. That's what we see or notice in this forum. Many learners are improved a lot through communicating with each other and voicing their thoughts. They also enjoyed doing so, I know I did.

So teachers,
    Do you use internet, softwares, or powerpoint in the classroom? Do you think that chatting is effective and will you recommend students/learners to use them though most of them don't offer spell checking??

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon guys! He's asking a legitimate question.
    I have used Rosetta Stone software to supplement pronunciation teaching. I found out the hard way that you don't use it to teach pronunciation (actually, it was part of my MA thesis, so the government paid me for this little school of hard knocks).
    Using American English Pronunciation in conjunction with Rosetta Stone helps a great deal with pronunciation.

The software helps with getting the students to think in English, and they look forward to the dictation exercise.
    (try getting your students to look forward to a dictation when YOU do it)

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is my "field" and we have a whole community dedicated to technology in EFL. Come and join the conversation at EFL Classroom 2.0

I use the regular ppts (I have hundreds available to our members) as well as karaoke which I do workshops on and instruct teachers how to use (click karaoke on the left at www.ddd.batcave.net for instructions on the free player and how to download all the songs/books/speeches/articles in karaoke.).

My fav. for their simplicity recently are these applications - mostly voice because I believe that will be the godsend to EFL.

1. Voicethread which is where you put up a pic and viewers can comment on. Amazing and I have several of my own there. Look under ddeubel .

2. Chinswing - start a voice conversation and then see others respond. A kinda oral chat form.

I also use multi media games extensively. Find out more at our community. Price is right, jeopardy, my own Top 5 and also lots of flash applications for self instruction.....

Hope this gets you sniffing away.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your nice comments teachers!!

But I'm wondering about the advantages of using chatting. Don't you think using it is a waste of time ??

I think that it doesn't help to develop students writing skills. They often use simple words, and small sentences. They may write a sentence full of spelling grammar mistakes because it doesn't offer spelling checker. And sometimes they might receive negative attitudes or opinions from some people through using it. For instance, 5 years ago, I joined in a group chatting with some english native speakers. At that time, my english was not as good as now and I was trying to communicate with them, but once they knew that I'm not an English person, they ignored me. I felt a little sad and disappointed and i couldn't login in chatting any more from that incident. One of my friend tried to do the same thing and one of the users blocked him though it was an open one not a private.

So, what do you think about chatting? is it effective?? I need your opinion about this, please...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Chatting can be useful; I use it for contacting students out of the classroom so that they can ask me questions, etc, at certain times in the evening. It can be effective for communication, but it doesn't do much to improve traditional writing skills. However, I think that chat skills are valid language skills in their own right, as long as other skills are not neglected.